People chucking stuff off bridges

Saw this today on the beeb;

Essentially some kids were chucking drinks onto cars going under a bridge and two chaps got out, slapped one of them and threatened to throw them off the bridge, the police are after the *men*, no mention of sorting the kids out..

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

And rightly so the men are being sought. What gave them the right to give the lads a slapping then threaten to kill them?

Don't for one minute mistake my view as not being in support of dealing with anyone who throws stuff from bridges. But having rampant vigilantes running amock isn't the answer.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Good on the chap that slapped him, bet the kid will think twice before pouring stuff off a bridge again. What the hell sort of road is a "H7" by the way

GGJ

Reply to
GGJ

H7 means Horizontal 7 in Milton Keynes road designation parlance i.e. it runs west-east (or east-west) and is the 7th of a set of such parallel-ish roads in their grid system. North-south/south-north roads are designated V1 and upwards, where indicates vertical.

Lizzy

Reply to
Lizzy Taylor

Them trying to cause a car accident?

The alternative was basically f*ck all though, if they'd called your lot they'd have done sod all.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Yeck, Milton Keynes, what a mad place, I can see why the yanks are so weird, all their towns are like that! Last time I was there I got lost an awful lot as every place looks like every other place, and I had sat nav!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Thanks for that Lizzy, learn something new everyday, I'll keep a look out if I'm ever in the MK area. Have not been there for at least 20 years, so I am sure it may well be alot bigger these days.

Cheers GGJ

Reply to
GGJ

Sort of like the streets/avenues-system on Manhattan?

sayonara Martin Mose Larsen

Reply to
Martin Mose Larsen

Why?

Reply to
Lee_D

Where does it say that?

"The 13-year-old was walking between Leadenhall and Eaglestone with friends who were pouring a drink over the bridge on to the road below."

I read that to mean a container held over the barrier and the contents being poured out whilst walking along not "chucking stuff" (ie the container and contents) off the bridge onto the road below.

As with the vast majority of news stories you don't get the full story and when you start to examine what you have got more questions are raised than are answered.

Unfortunately "sod all" is what an awful lot of the population think is always the result of calling the Police. I suspect if a call of kids "chucking stuff off" a bridge had been made there would have been a fairly rapid response. Always assuming that there was a unit available and they weren't all tied up with a load of drunken yobs intent on a fight in a town center pub.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Isnt it genaeral in the uk as in A1 etc?

Reply to
Nige

This is how I read it and is my gripe about vigilantism, there're no checks or balances so often the wrong person is accused and subsequently the "punishment" is out of all proportion to the alleged crime.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

And a brilliantly simple system it is too. You can find your way round so easily.

Reply to
hugh

The alleged punishment was merely to be threatened, not actually to be thrown off the bridge.

So do you argue that ordinary citizens should not intervene when either a crime is being committed or there is life threatening danger being deliberately created? The liquid itself would not do much damage - but the reaction of passing drivers to seeing something falling off a bridge directly above them could easily create mayhem.

Reply to
hugh

Oooo - threats - that's more serious than actually doing anything these days.

Reply to
Dougal

Not so, the report says he was held over the side of the bridge, this is akin to being sentenced to death by firing squad not knowing *all* of the bullets are blank, it's torture pure and simple.

They also appear to not have caught the perpetrators.

I did not condone the alleged crime nor comment on its potential danger.

Nor did I comment on whether asking the police to attend would have achieved any sensible result, which, if my experience is anything to go by, would have been a waste of anybody's time except the police's, who IMO are very well paid to waste time and are artful in it.

I do believe ordinary citizens should intervene when they can do some good, safely, and should report the crime, unfortunately I also believe the police are unlikely to deliver a satisfactory result.

What I did agree with Lee was that taking the law into your own hands was worse.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

When they originally started to number roads back in the dim-and-distant past they devised a clock method plus a hierarchy of road classification. "A" was for major roads, "B" for secondary roads and "C" for minor roads (they don't use "C" anymore). The clock was numbered using London as the centre as all the major roads radiated from there and 1 being the major axis up the country - towards Edinburgh. 2 was the next major road going clockwise - towards the S East - 3 went towards Southampton (generally south(ish)), 4 towards the west country, 5 to the Midlands and 6 to the N West.

In between these major arterial routes they numbered other "A" roads similarly working clockwise between (say) 1 to 2 using two-digit numbers (eg A11). "B" roads derived their first two numbers from the "A" road immediately anti-clockwise from them - so the first "B" road to the right of the A11 was the B1100 and so on.

When motorways appeared the tried to keep to the same system but it started to fall apart when roads ceased to start in London - like the M5 which goes from Birmingham to Exeter.

Today I think they've thrown the old rule book out of the window and just number roads as they feel like it, or at least that's how it appears.

The reasoning behind the original system was that if you got lost you could figure out where you were (roughly) just from the road number.

HTH :-)

Reply to
SteveG

Well, any time I've ever called them about anything, they've done sod all, this includes lights out on a roundabout during a power cut causing 2-3 vehicles an hour to screetch onto the roundabout and hit it at a notorious accident blackspot, they suggested I stand out in the road and wave a torch (I was about 17 at the time) or "put up some reflective signs".

A burglary at my house in Reading, turned up 3 days later with a form and sent someone round to dust for fingerprints the next day, but she was more interested in playing with the kitten I had at the time.

A car broken down and immovable just over the prow of a hill at a notrious accident black spot (the same one as above in fact), causing vehicles to come over the hill, right on the stuck vehicle, and slam on their brakes and swerve onto the other side of the road, us standing at the top of the hill waving at traffic just caused them to go over the prow of the hill staring at *us* instead of looking at the vehicle stuck in front of them. Once enough people had stopped to recover their nerves we towed the stuck vehicle out of the way with a van. A police car did turn up, but not because they'd been sent, they just happened to be passing and wound down their window and angrily demanded that we tell them what the hell we thought we were doing.. Then they buggered off.

A friend of mine regularly reporting the drugs dealers a few houses down the road from him (I saw them too, they were pretty blatant), he'd been reporting them for a year or two. They were still there when he moved out.

The local bobby in a village I used to live in refusing to deal with some local troublemakers because he'd already been threatened by them because he had been caught bonking one of their wives.

My pregnant sister suffering badly from stress running out of petrol in a city, a policeman appeared and started yelling at her, which caused her to lock herself in her car, which made him even angrier.

My sisted being burgled, again, a visit a few days later to fill out a form.

My sister and husband waking up to find a burglar *in the house*, he fled, a few days later, another form to fill out.

Me being pulled by a policeman in the 2nd week of owning my first car, given a speeding ticket despite him stating I wasn't speeding but he thought my exhaust pipe was too loud so he'd give me a speeding ticket every time he saw me, told me it was an on-the-spot fine of 30 quid, so I fished 30 quid out of my wallet and handed it to him and had him yelling at me about attempting to bribe him and threatening to lock me up..

Me being pulled by a policeman for "driving down the hard shoulder to skip a traffic queue", I'd done no such thing and we had a bad-tempered shouting match at the side of the road with him threatening me with all sorts of things until he gave up and let me go.

And so on.

Then of course there's the usual reports of people complaining about kids running amok and being told there's nothing the police can do about them.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Yeah because that's not likely to cause an accident is it. People on the road below seeing kids chucking something at them, they're going to instantly recognise it's just a drink and will laugh about those kids and their pranks!

I've called the police to report things on numerous occasions, and sod all has always been the result.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I thought it just said his head was held over, not his body.

They had at least one of the kids.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings