Petitions...

another one:

which you may or may not have seen. ALL my vehicles are over 10 years old!

Reply to
Austin Shackles

What a load of old shit.

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

This sounds like one of those twaddle ones that are put about as scare stories, I've just phoned Edinburgh city council and it's all news to them, the chap was amazed to find that it had over 5,000 signatures and said he'd try and see if it had a grain of truth in it and call me back but it sounded like total twaddle to him too. This was from the Traffic Management Department of Edinburgh City Council. I'd already been through the Environmental department but they don't deal with that kind of stuff, it's just a posh term for rubbish collection.

I'm getting the feeling that the e-petitions service is taking over from those hoax emails that I used to get that always ended with "pass this on to all your friends". There are a few piss-take ones around, e.g. one about the EU trying to ban hamsters, but if a petition or a report about pending legislation seems too stupid to be true then there's a good chance that it is.

Also it's listed as a proposal, not much point worrying about a proposal especially ones that affect a large portion of the population across all income groups, the only ones that usually get through are ones that affect a few people outside of the norm. The NERC bill for example affects very few people and has lots of backers, but a ban on older cars affects massive amounts of people and has the backing of no-one.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Whilst I agree with much of what you say, I've signed it more in the spirit of 'just in case' than with any hope of it ever being needed.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Just got a call back from the chap who would be actually involved in the drafting of any rules of this type in Edinburgh (Phil Noble), he's mystified as to why this rumour is being put about as it's rubbish, he thinks that the closest that he's seen to such a suggestion was one in a consultant's report about reducing levels of nitrogen dioxide in the city, but he said even that wasn't a serious suggestion.

He's going to see if he can find out where this rumour came from by contacting the petition author and will let me know. I've suggested he puts a notice in the news section of the edinburgh council website.

So at least that part of the petition is bollocks, surprise surprise..

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Similar rules are already in place in France. If you own a car over a certain age, you're only allowed to use it locally to your home address, & you *must* own a car under a certain age as well.

I'm a bit vague on the exact details, but I think the cut off point is about 15 years.

It'd stop me dead. My only transport is a 1968 Series IIa.

I've signed up.

Tciao for Now!

John.

Reply to
John Williamson

On or around Tue, 8 May 2007 09:43:28 +0100, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

I wouldn't be surprised if there were suchlike plans afoot, sponsored by the car makers. Japan already has a system which makes it next-to-impossible to have cars over a certain age (5 years?) and so they all get exported and come here as grey imports.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

John Williamson uttered summat worrerz funny about:

How does this affect tourist with caravans for example then in say a 1990 Landrover 110? Or is it a case of if it's legal where you come from then it's ok?

Don't Japan have something set up which is why we get all the Jap crap ported over here to flood the market with grey imports?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Austin Shackles uttered summat worrerz funny about:

F*** Me... what else were you thinking / typing at 1244 ?

;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I'd check up on that if I were you, I've seen a few scare stories about it in countries like Germany but they've all turned out to have been an exaggeration. I've not heard of any classic car bans in france and given I read a lot of classic car mags both on and offline I reckon I'd have heard about it.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Naah, it's like anglers, too many people would be affected for any politicians to want to touch it. They go for votes, hence the NERC bill, they'll never ban angling and they'll never ban classic cars. This ain't Japan.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I've never heard of any British drivers being stopped, so I would guess it only applies to cars registered in France.

I think you're remembering the same TV programme I saw ages ago, which was about Japan exporting 4 or 5 year old cars to nearby countries. As I understand it, the emission controls get stricter the older the vehicle is, so after 4 or 5 years, it can't economically pass the annual test. So, not an age rule as such, just a way to get the old, polluting vehicles off the road. I also read that before you can buy a new car in parts of Japan (Tokyo was mentioned), you have to prove you have approved parking for it, so in effect, buying a new car means you need to scrap the old one, 'cos their parking problems make ours look easy.

I'm sure someone will be along in a bit with the full/ corrected story;-)

Tciao for Now!

John.

Reply to
John Williamson

I thought the whole idea was so that HMG could get a list of the people who cared about a problem enough to sign up for it so they could get a personalised, smarmy letter to tell them why their objections were going to be, regretfully, ignored at this time.

This will reduce the staff in the 'irate punter' replies department and, by doing the whole thing by email, will save cash now they don't own the post office any more.

It will be a cold day in hell before a polititian listens to his constituants for any other reason.

nigelH

Reply to
Nigel Hewitt

Possibly I misremembered a story in Practical Classics or possibly the French equivalent of Auto Express.

Checking the French websites, there is a "Carte Grise de Collection" (Collectors Registration Document, near enough) available to owners of vehicles more than 25 years old, with a (much) reduced standard for the roadworthiness test. This allows you to drive the vehicle within your departement (Near enough to our counties) & attend pre -arranged events elsewhere, provided you give three days notice to your prefecture. If your French is up to it, it's all here:-

If you can get it through a full roadworthiness check every 2 years, then you can use it as normal.

Tciao for Now!

John.

Reply to
John Williamson

John Williamson uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Thanks for following that one up John, It's certainly of interest to me given I'm going to most likely be using the 110 this summer for the tour across France and Spain and it's now 17 years young.

Le ED ;-)

Reply to
Lee_D

Just nicely run in, then:-)

Tciao for Now!

John.

Reply to
John Williamson

It will be fine, utterly reliable it was, until you broke you ham fisted bugger!

Reply to
Nige

Does the roadworthiness test apply as standard to all vehicles though? In Britain, requirements for exhaust emissions, seatbelts etc for a car change depending on vehicle age, so while all our cars go through the MOT test, individual parts of that test are skipped or relaxed for vehicles older than a certain age. Is that not the case in France?

I know that in Blighty, with some vehicles, e.g. the Alvis Stalwart and some other gear, it can be exempted from MOT testing completely with certain restrictions.

No french at all I'm afraid :-(

I know that there were noises from the French about making it illegal to own ex-military vehicles in France last year, not sure what happened to that one in the end, haven't heard anything about it in a while now.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I'm not sure on this. I live in the UK, so I've never had anything direct to do with the French tests. I'd be guessing if I said vehicles only had to conform to their original specifications, & knowing the French, could well be wrong.

Again, I'm no expert. I've run what's now a 39 year old Landie for 20 or so years & over the last 20 years a few other cars as well. MOT time is normally when I start panicking;-)

I think it got squashed. Reading the FFVE ( Féderation Français des Vehicules D'époque) site, it would appear that if you are morally able (whatever *that* means) you can even own a vehicle considered to be "armed".

For the brave of heart & the betterment of Babelfish....

Tciao for Now!

John.

Reply to
John Williamson

I'm sure that I read about it in a broadsheet several months ago, there may be truth in it. Don't put this sort of hysterical nonsense beyond Edi council - remember that the twerps planned to have [insert actors name] arrested if he lit a cigar on stage while playing Winston Churchill last year.

Red Ken's council plan something similar with old commercials IIRC...

Julian.

Reply to
Julian