Phone hands-free on a Disco 300TDi

Just got a full car kit (CARK126) for my nokia mobile.

I haven't decided yet where to put the phone holder - most likely spot is left of the instrument cluster on the dash.

Anybody got any thoughts or recommendations?

Steve (1994 300TDi Disco I)

Reply to
Steve H

This very subject has been discussed at

HTH

Steve. Suffolk. remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Reply to
AN6530

Cheers - looks like a good site that I wasn't aware of!

Steve

Reply to
Steve H

I have the CARK-91 in my 300 Disco.

After looking at a few others, I wanted to mount mine where it would not leave any visible marks etc., and still be usable.

I removed the vent grille from the right hand vent (left of the switches on the drivers console, above the clock), and mounted the holder in there. I ran the cable through one of the blanking panels below the clock, and out the back to the control box which I've stuck to the lid that drops down under the steering column.

Not only is the phone at the perfect height for use etc., but when I remove the kit, and pop the grille back in, there will be no visible marks. Mic is mounted in the middle (right above the mirror), and the speaker is mounted below the glove box, behind the sound panel. Even though you cannot see the speaker, the volume is perfect.

Works for me. ;-)

H.

Hi Steve, I have a 9210 carkit mounted between the drivers seat and the plastic cubby box/g lever tunnel, near to where the cigar lighter is. This way I can easily see the phone, and at night the phone pad can be used without being "blinded" by the light.

All the wiring tucks neatly under the transmission tunnel, control box under the dash, and speaker in the fuse box area.

Cheers

Phillip

Reply to
Phillip Simpson

Why is it that as soon as some new law is passed everybody seems to think they have to spend money to satisfy a 'nice to have' requirement.

How many of you could actually switch the mobile off, set it to voice mail or get contacts to send texts when required?

I spend many hours, and miles, towing around the country, and have never needed to have a mobile phone switched on whilst doing it, my customers know this and send texts, people that aren't aware leave voice mails.

Who owns the phone?, or does the phone own you?

Reply to
lofty76

I've continued using my velcro-based phone mount and ear-mounted hands free kit. I've checked the DoT website and this appears to be fine.

I don't really have that option. I would end up with less happy customers, or alternatively, hundreds of voicemails at the end of the day. I'm minimising mobile use when in the car but turning it off altogether isn't always viable.

Actually, the company owns the phone, and coincidentally, they also pay for my car, mortgage, food, clothing, etc. So I'm prepared to give them something back :)

Reply to
David French

I have no interest in your views regarding the philosophy of mobile phone use. If you have any recommendations on best position for phone mounting in a Discovery then let's hear it, otherwise I suggest you raise your points in a group that may be more coherent with the way your mind works.

Steve

Reply to
Steve H

Steve, I think you're going to be disappointed in Usenet.

If you don't like the replies, use the mouse pointer to select a different response - it's easy when you get the hang of it.

I suggest the best place for your mobile phone may be up your arse. :)

David

Reply to
David French

Prior to the law I insisted that Mandy had a hands-free kit fitted to her car. In fact I made the garage have it fitted before we collected the car. Simply because

a) she would use the phone anyway, so it may as well be safe for her to do so b) on the one occasion she needed it the battery would be flat if she didn't have the kit

I don't have one in my Land Rovers (mostly too damned loud to hear anything), but will be fitting one shortly to our company vehicles once we have renewed everyone to the same phone. We would lose lots of business if we were not available to our clients.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Ho ho

Reply to
Steve H

In agreement here - see thread "steering wheel mobile phone".

I thought people had taken to wearing them instead of hats or ear-rings.

Reply to
Nikki

What's your problem? Run over your phone?

Reply to
Nikki

Thankyou for that Steve,

I quite understand your reticence to react contstructively to other peoples views when they are not in your interest.

The point I was making, was that is it really necessary to have the phone instantly accessible at all times.

As to mountings, there are many companies that have sprung up in the last few months that are dedicated to the correct installation, operation and maintenance of phones used in this manner.

I suggest you contact some of these for the advice you require and consider it appropriately.

Reply to
lofty76

On or around Tue, 16 Dec 2003 17:44:48 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk enlightened us thusly:

I've got a hand-free thing for mine, somewhere, but god knows where 'tis.

in the Sunday iTems motor bit was a letter from a bloke who pulled in (rightly and properly) to answer his phobile, but parked for 5 minutes or less on a meter place (with other empty ones nearby) and got done by a parking-bastard for not putting money in it.

now that's a good question. as a mate of mine put it, "my mobile is for MY convenience, not yours".

sometimes, however, you want to be contactable. but the number of times it's really important to be instantly available is relatively few.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin> now that's a good question. as a mate of mine put it, "my Austin> mobile is for MY convenience, not yours".

That's kind of my attitude, but the phone bills are paid by the company so that they can get hold of me in an emergency, so I have to moderate it slightly.

Austin> sometimes, however, you want to be contactable. but the Austin> number of times it's really important to be instantly Austin> available is relatively few.

Yes. There are a few times when it's useful. There are even fewer when it's necessary. I religiously plug the phone into the handsfree kit everytime I get in the car. On average it rings about twice a week while I'm driving, and is used a similar number of times. None of these calls are ESSENTIAL, but they are USEFUL.

Anyone (other than regular callers who know anyway) who calls is told "I'm in the car, and the road needs my attention more than you do, so if I go quiet for a minute, don't panic."

A couple of weeks back I narrowly missed an accident on the M40. I was on the phone at the time and was giving the wife (who I'd called to tell what time I'd be home) a running commentary which finished with "I'm on the hard shoulder, stopped, and haven't hit anything. I'm now going to go and phone the police and see if the bloke in the merc is still alive. See you later."

Given that during this conversation I'd had to emergency brake from motorway speed, come off the brakes at least twice to stop whoever was behind me from going into me, missed the merc spinning across the road in front of me into the crash barrier and back again, swerve to avoid bits of glass on the road, and then finally made it safely from lane 3 to the hard shoulder within 100 yds of the stopped vehicle, you will understand why I have an issue of mobile phones being a distraction. Mobile phones are only a distraction if you let them be, and to do so is bad driving.

Incidentally, the bloke driving the merc was uninjured, though I suspect he'd fallen asleep at the wheel.

AndyC

--

+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Andy Cunningham aka AndyC the WB | andy -at- cunningham.me.uk | +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |
- Everything you wanted to know || about the P38A Range Rover but were afraid to ask. |+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+"And everything we want to get/We download from the InternetAll we hear is/Internet Ga-Ga/Cyberspace Goo-goo" -- from "Radio Ga Ga"/"We will rock you"

I totally agree they are as big (small?) a distraction as radios cd players etc or my all time favourite smoking while driving

Andy S

Andy.Smalley

My livelihood depends on my being able to answer the phone when it rings, unfortunately. A few months ago my phone rang while I was about to launch for an autocross run at a local SCCA event. I told the fellow I would have to call him back but I did run a couple gates while I was chatting with him. For what it's worth, it only cost me about half a second on a fifty- second run, mainly because it was tough decisively shifting with the phone in hand :)

Reply to
Jack Baruth

Don't you mean "Ho Ho OOoooh!"

Reply to
wayne

I fitted a Nokia Car kit and used a "Dash Mount" Bracket.

you want some photos of the installation let me know. Dan McKenzie Disco 300Tdi

Reply to
Dan McKenzie