Ping: Darren GPS man (OT)

Darren

When I got my TomTom in May this year, they were promising an upgrade to the Europe maps some time in 2Q 2006. The TomTom site has been strangely quiet about it, although we are now in Q4. I had a voucher with the 700 for a free map upgrade, but there doesn't appear to be one. Do you know anything?

TIA

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I bought a navman & the maps are a min 3 years out of date. What a pile of shit.

Reply to
Nige

What do you expect - they are made by 2 cavemen hiding in a dormant volcano somewhere down my end of the world. They will probably update their maps by abut 2009 when they've saved enough money to have another look at the UK and realise that things have changed a bit since their last visit. ;-)

Seriously, they don't even make a decent NZ map so what chance is there of a proper set of UK maps.

Reply to
EMB

Wankers, one & all....

Reply to
Nige

Got a nice Garmin Nuvi 310D for sale, maps are really up to date (all of Cote Farm Nige!)

Andy

too rich for my blood man!!

Reply to
Nige

I'll make enquiries. I know the map update was late but not sure if it has been released yet.

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com

You really need to appreciate how the map data is compiled to understand the issues here. Navman use Teleatlas as do TomTom. There are a great many factors that dictate the map data currency but this affects ALL products not just Navman.

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com

||| When I got my TomTom in May this year, they were promising an ||| upgrade to the Europe maps some time in 2Q 2006. The TomTom site ||| has been strangely quiet about it, although we are now in Q4. I ||| had a voucher with the 700 for a free map upgrade, but there ||| doesn't appear to be one. Do you know anything?

|| I'll make enquiries. I know the map update was late but not sure if || it has been released yet.

Thanks a lot Darren.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Rich what version does it say on your installation CD's I've finally bought my self the PIN 570 seems ok or it will be when I get the truck mods on and it stops trying to send me down unsuitable rabbit tracks.

Derek

Reply to
Derek

There's nothing on the CD that came with it, but the firmware version of the TT is 5.440. (Thinks: I updated the firmware from the TT site when I got it, but it may have "forgotten" with all the factory resets I have had to give it to get it to work occasionally. Must try again.)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Just me geeting confused sorry Rich its Nige thats got the Navman issues I have seen the TT V6.010 posted as Yenc on another group so it seems to be about email me if you want the loc as I shouldn't really post it here and anyway Yenc frightens the crap out of me. Derek ( spam filters don't really work spam fritters still taste the same.)#

remove spamtrap b4 you reply

Reply to
Derek

Thanks for the offer, but I really CBA with Yenc, and anyway, I'd rather get the TT working properly with the existing firmware than start mucking about with newer versions.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I would definitely make a direct inquiry to Tele Atlas and see if they can do anything about getting you upgrades sooner. My experience with the company has been great and its worth it for the quality maps they'll give you.

Reply to
Ellen

|| Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com wrote: ||| On 2006-11-03 20:49:43 +0000, "Richard Brookman" ||| said: ||| |||| Darren |||| |||| When I got my TomTom in May this year, they were promising an |||| upgrade to the Europe maps some time in 2Q 2006. The TomTom site |||| has been strangely quiet about it, although we are now in Q4. I |||| had a voucher with the 700 for a free map upgrade, but there |||| doesn't appear to be one. Do you know anything? |||| || || || I would definitely make a direct inquiry to Tele Atlas and see if || they can do anything about getting you upgrades sooner. My || experience with the company has been great and its worth it for the || quality maps they'll give you.

will do, thanks

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Not a problem, and if you are currently having problems with map inaccuracies, you can report it to Tele Atlas' Map Insight, which will let you know automatically if the errors have been corrected.

Reply to
Ellen

And then, in about 20 years' time, your satnav vendor might release an updated map!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings