Ping: Derry Argue or Larry

Having previously posted that my Defender Double cab had been stolen, it has now been found. However I am now about to start the old Approved Repairers assesment of repairs versus Approved Cash Value game. I have read an old thread relaitng to Derry's D90 and would appreciate any advice derry could give. I saw no final conclusion as to whether Derry eventually bought his own car back in the end as salvage. Secondly I have read a thread of Larry's on Alt.autism with regards the S111 and somebody smacking into it last easter, I was curious to know whther you had it repaired through insurance in the end or just fixed it up yourself. Especially as yhou only live a few streets away from me Larry, and I still haven't quite worked out where yet, I reckon you must have a garage. Especially as your not the bloke with the Green S111 that is now a black Range rover classic.

Anybody elses comments and advice on the whole insurance claim repair/write off/buy back scenario would also be appreciated.

Regards,

Mark Stokes TD5 110 Double Cab (Y437 JFO) Kidnapped and held to ransom

2.5 N/A OneTen (E450 TFL) The front Shed 200 TDI Discovery (H415 UAO) On loan pending replacement of kidnapped Vehicle 1.0L Toyota Yaris - Courtesy vehicle from insurers, which would fit in the back of my defender!
Reply to
Mark

I have but I was the Third party so to speak, so it was down to the other insurance company to put things right or recompense.

I think it's a slightly different kettle of fish when claiming on your own insurance but It'll boil down to the small print in the end.

I printed off a ream of like vehicles from Autotrader when haggling for the best compo pay out on my Range Rover. In the end settled for £400 being the scrap value and a pay out of £2100 which reflected in my argueing it would cost £2500 (at the cheap end) to get a similar replacement , similar milage and similar condition (pre collision!).

They initially offered a total including the scrap value of £1900. I told them I wasn't as green as I was cabbage looking and that it was an insult. They suggested that was whatever book price they were using. I advised them that I was not going to settle at that, pointed them in the direction of the autotrader ads and advised them that either they come up with a realistic offer or replace the car , the choice was theirs. The chap uttered something about possibilty of ending up in court to resolve before again giving the hard push on his origional offer. I re-explained my view and the thousands I'd spent on the Range rover in recent years which I had all the reciepts for. He called back around an hour later and settled as above £2500 all in.

I think I spent £600 on parts and the rest went on my labour :0)

After last nights collision I couldn't be arsed, but then it's a tin of filler and an indicator unit away from being repaired as the vehicle needs a respray after the earlier collision. If nothing else shows I'm not making a business from the misery of collisions. I have left the invoice with the other driver to pay for the indicator and side light unit.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

"Mark" wrote in news:d5ifa5$qkn$1$ snipped-for-privacy@news.demon.co.uk:

Yes, I did.

Initially, the insurers told me it "wasn't policy" to sell the salvage. I did a search and found an independent assessor who gave me a lot of good advice. Sorry, I have since got a new computer so can't give you a link but it is worth doing some searches and telephoning around for advice.

The short story is that the salvage is yours -- unless you have accepted money. I can be quite difficult and I think the insurers decided it wasn't worth the hassle, so they sold me the salvage in the end! I understand that they will usually have a contract with a breaker who takes these vehicles at a fixed price. It is easier for the insurers to work like this, until an owner comes along who won't play the game!

My D90 was "assessed" and reckoned to be worth repairing. When I heard who was going to repair it, I put my foot down. (The last time that garage did work for me, they sent the vehicle back with no oil in the gearbox!). A week later, they had decided the chassis was twisted on two planes and it was a write off.

Briefly, the insurers settled to pay out the value I'd declared which was the purchase price I paid at the time - £3,500, less £100 excess. I bought the salvage for £650 - their valuation and I wasn't going to haggle. The engine alone in a 1992 200Tdi with 60,000 miles must be worth a grand and I had someone lined up to buy it if I had wanted to sell. However, I got local repairers to check the chassis and they declared it was sound! So I bought a secondhand rear tub for £150 (thanks Jason), spent another £100 for delivery. Replaced the rear cross member (which needed replacing anyway) -- another £150, and a few other odds and ends. All my own time and labour. I have never worked out the figures but I must be well ahead.

The registration documents "could not be found". So I sent the original slip from the seller to the DVLA and got replacements. No mention of being a write off on the replacement documents and nothing on the DVLA computer to that effect. Sailed through the MOT and later sold the vehicle for £4,350 to a delighted purchaser. Purchaser, incidentally, is local and known to me and he remains delighted and a friend! I have since purchased an "R" reg 300Tdi.

Hope this helps. Don't let 'em grind you down!

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

Derry,

Thanks, much helpful and encouraging advice. I shall wait and see what the first move by the insurers is going to be now. The only reason I am looking into the whole economical write off thing is because the car was fairly new

2001, and it seems to have sustained damage to every single body panel and there appears to be something badly wrong with one of the rear wheels. Body damage I could live with and the pay out on a total loss less whatever the salvage value would certainly be useful. We'll see I guess.....

Mark

Reply to
Mark

I paid for it myself in the end as I didn't want to go through the business of estimates, approved repairers as an insurance job would have required far more doing than was strictly necessary to get it roadworthy again.

I went so far as to get a claim form for the third party damage I did to the hedge at Christmas, but decided that was not really worth the bother either.

No I don't keep it in a garage, there are lots of land rovers around here and mine is sitting out there in the street right now (I hope)

Reply to
Larry

"Mark" wrote in news:d5ivct$7fd$1$ snipped-for-privacy@news.demon.co.uk:

That would seem to be the sensible way to go. I am sure you will have a rough idea of what the salvagable bits would be worth if you sold them and can compare that to what you'll have to pay for the salvage. Just remember it is your vehicle up until the time when you agree otherwise and take the money although they may try to convince you otherwise!

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue