PING: GPS Dude (again)

Right, time to buy some GPS, I've been fantastically busy for the last few months and I hereby spend some of that money...

I'm looking for an in-far GPS thingymajig that'll navigate me using postcodes, addresses and/or just towns.

Will recalculate if I take a different route.

Will let me load POI's that other people have compiled (most notably LPG sellers).

Does that funny low-angle graphic thingy rather than just looking straight down on a map.

That ought to do it, budget of about £500 to £600.

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

I did it by getting a HPipaq Pocket PC about £250 then a gps thingy (GPSmart) about £100 cables and cradles another £50. TomTom software (I understand you can download this for free of the internet but this is naughty and you shouldn't do this). Total cost for everything about £400.

The pocket PC will also run the OS maps and games and mp3s etc.(I understand you can download the OS software and all the maps for free of the internet but this is naughty and you shouldn't do this).

The advantage of doing it this way is if you are a walker (ie don't have a car, can't think of any other reason to walk) the GPSmart thing can be used like a pocket compass.

Got my stuff from

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel

I got a Medion pocket PC with built in GPS aerial (lift up), cables for cigarette lighter socket, bracket to fix in car, (sucker for windscreen supplied), cable to connect to PC (if required) and Navteq maps of UK and Ireland on CD and SD memory card all for £229.99 two weeks ago from Somerfield supermarket.

Does everything required including re-calculating route due to blockages etc.

Doubt if they have any left now but it could be worth a try.

Dave W.

Reply to
David Westerman

tomtom go 300,500,700 whatever your budget will buy the 700 has all the maps of europe over the 500 and they both have bluetooth handsfree above and beyond the 300 specs,they range from 300 to 549..

very neat inbuilt gps just one wire and in the disco it fits nicely in the gap at the back of the dash that lr kindly left,they are also portable aswell..i got the pda version but only 'cos i use it to watch films/play music and surf on..maps are fairly uptodate and it will take poi inc. the speed camera's from pocket which are nearly as accurate as my road angel2 that cost's 99 for 3 years subs.,,the pocket ones are free.

Reply to
t.jonson

Prolly not too much help, but I'm currently playing, whilst drinking wine, so not in Grumble, with "PrymeNav". It's only (AFAICS) available for windoze (at present) though, but it is pretty good IMO.

Doesn't do postcodes (yet) either.

Reply to
Mother

Got myself a Magellan Roadmate 300 for 299 from comet. Brill. Doesn't do postcodes but will find by street. Recalculates routes and has europe in the database too. Comes with a windscreen mount. Easy to use and a good touchscreen too.

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Nigel, have you had any problems with your setup? I have a similar setup(hx4700, tomtom3), and the Ipaq hangs every time I exit TomTom. Has yours ever done this?

Reply to
SimonJ

TomTom hangs now and again but not every time. When I used the bluetooth connection it used to hang a lot of the time. Not sure it has ever hung up when I exit.

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel

There is a fix for TT5 on their website. My Hx4700 doesn't hang any more.

nigelH

Reply to
Nigel Hewitt

Bought one for my mum t'other day from Somerfields. Nice bit of kit, much less hassle than my ipaq set-up.

Reply to
SteveG

TomTom Go300 is brilliant, easy to use, good graphics, downloadable POI's including speed cameras etc and its mounting arm fits perfectly in the cupholder on the dash of my Freelander so no need for the sucker (which always falls off)

Andy

Freelander Sport TD4

Reply to
Andrew Cooke

You've got a TomTom GO 300? I've been thinking about getting one. It sound sliek you're pretty happy with yours, huh?

Reply to
ukcats4218016

Very mixed opinions on TomTom on the GPS groups. I initially liked mine (on a PDA) as it's great on motorways and major routes. I then found that

i) it has quite a few major roads totally missing (e.g. M6 Toll) ii) flyovers totally baffle it - it often thinks you are on the road under / over the one you are on, with 'hilarious' results iii) it's complete crap in London - dangerous almost...

I now never use it...

YMMV

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Wanna sell it matey?

Major roads is good for me!! ] Nige

-- Subaru WRX (Annabel)

Landrover 110 County Station Wagon (Tyson)

'"Say hello to my little friend"

Reply to
Nige

Tim,

Have to disagree with you on point iii) I'm afraid. I've been using TomTom5 with my QTEK phone now for over two months and am very impressed..we must have different maps because mine does show the M6 toll ..? anyway it safely navigated me from Bedfordshire to Crystal Palace football ground the other weekend right through Marble Arch/Vauxhall Bridge/Oval/Brixton etc... It did'nt miss a traffic light/speed camera (!) at all - I had my ultra critical father next to me who was watching it like a hawk :-)

Gavin

Reply to
datchworthdisco

Hi.

I dont personally use the TOM TOM at all, i have seen them and been in cars with them but do not personally rate them.

I have a Garmin Quest, it works wonders. Even searches postcodes. As long as you keep updating the software on it, it works very well. Altough personally i havent been on the M6 Toll Road so i wouldnt know whether its on there or not. It seems to work well in London and on Flyovers.

It is light, portable, many different modes of travelling including: Walking, Motorbike, Lorry, Car (Land Rovers), Bicycle.

-- Thanks

Graeme Halls The views expressed here are only of the writer of this msg and not of other people. All rights Reserved.

Reply to
Terry Halls

Your major decision will be whether to go for a dedicated nav system such as the TomTom GO series or a PocketPC based solution.

For dedicated Nav, get a GO, the 300 is the base model which can hook up to a BT Phone to poll for traffic updates (req. subscription), the 500 adds BT handsfree and optional remote and the 700 has a hard disk with full Europe coverage, and inc remote.

For PocketPC, get a Mitac Mio 168 bundle with TomTom Navigator or any decent PocketPC with BT, a BT GPS and software.

I suggest TomTom because it has by far the best interface, excellent support for POIs (and there are a great many available on our site and others in TomTom format inc the LPS database) inc our Safety Camera Database, and also has full UK 7 Digit PostCode support unlike others.

A 300 is approx £380, but for £600 you could get a 700.

Reviews of all on our website.

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com

Tomtom go 300 it is then, I got one for £350 and found some POI's to add to it for LPG stations and about everything else I could ever want. Cheers :oD

................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at

MVP

How do you liek it so far? I want to get the 300 but am waiting to hear some personal experiences. It looks pretty good to me though.

Reply to
ukcats4218016

It does everything I want, I have POI's for LPG stations and just about everything else you could want. nice clear screen and directions. 'night' mode with dull colours on the screen so easy on the eyes. I need to figure out how to make it go to a postcode location at the moment it wants part of an address as well which is of no use to me often. Aside from that, I'm jolly happy.