Ping Pantelis Giamarellos

Hi Pantelis,

You said in a previous post - "it was also fitted with a cruise control kit and THREE (3) Quaife ATB differentials but this is another story which can be told in another post if you are interested"

I am considering fitting Quaife ATB diffs to the front & back of my TD5 D90 pickup and would be interested in your views, including why you fitted the centre one.

Best regards, Joskin (UK)

Reply to
Joskin

Joskin Hi,

first of all I would like to advise you that I an authorised distributor and representative of QUAIFE in Greece. I have been using QUAIFE ATB lockers on my own cars since 1997 and have proposed and fitted the QUAIFE ATB lockers to several Land Rovers both here in Greece and in Bulgaria (in fact the car that finished second overall in the 2008 Transylvania Trophy was outfitted by the undersigned and was equipped with a QUAIFE ATB unit after this event when the owner realized how much this unit would have assisted him if it was fitted during the event.

The main reason for using a QUAIFE ATB in the LT230 center differential and transfer box is to allow the torque to be biased in a more suitable way between the front and the rear axle while still retaining the ability to manually lock it when the conditions demand such an action.

Fitting the QUAIFE ATB has also resulted in a far more neutral on the road behaviour especially on wet slippery tarmac (Greek tarmac surfaced roads are notorious for how slippery they are...)

The operation of the QUAIFE ATB especially on vehicles fitted with ETC (electronic traction control) is most probably the best possible marriage of a limited "locker" and a Landy. You see the only true drawback of the QUAIFE unit is when one of the wheels on the same axle lifts up and loses all traction (rolling resistance). At this moment the driver only has to apply VERY SLIGHT brake and this allows the tractive wheel to regain torque. But with the vehicles fitted with ETC this is done spontaniously and automaticaly by the vehicle itself.

As for the operation on the center differential I am sure you can appreciate that it is very seldom that a vehicle will find itself with both wheels of the same axle up in the air. On almost all occasions the ATB unit is distributing torque to the wheel as per the vehicle's need and the traction resistance of the ground the vehicle stands on moves on.

An added bonus of the QUAIFE ATB units in general is that they greatly assist traction while not restricting the turning circly/radius of the vehicle and not stressing the halfshafts.

May I also note that QUAIFE diffs are NOT LOCKERS and they do not lock at

100%. Therefore, as quoted above, they tend to apply far less stress on the halfshafts when the wheels have traction and they allow the vehicle to be more manoeuvrable especially in tight spaces. With vehicles without ETC they do require some practice from the driver so that he can familiarise himself with the operation of "light braking while using the accelerator pedal" (something like the left foot brake that group B rally drivers used to do back in the 1980's) But on vehicles with ETC this is not necessary anymore. And this applies mainly for the QUAIFE ATBs used on the axles and not on the center diff which is your point of interest.

One more VERY important advantage of the QUAIFE diff is that it is a VERY ROBUST unit. It has absolutely no relation, strengthwise, to the flimsy Land Rover two or even the four pins differentials. The contact surface of the moving parts is far greater and therefore allows a much better distribution of forces on them, which of course provides less stress and far better ability to accomodate transmission forces, torque and stresses.

And finally the QUAIFE ATB offers a LIFETIME guarantee to the original buyer of the units even when used in competition events. I believe this is a very strong proof of the faith of the company to its products.

----------------------

Speaking of differentials though I would wholeheartedly propose that you also check the newest kid in town. It is a 100% locking differential that allows the wheels of the same axle to differentiate their rotation when needed. It has a revolutionary way of operation WITHOUT ANY gears inside it. I am waiting for the first two units to arrive in my hands here in Greece and we will be testing them on a D2 V8 so as to evaluate them ourselves. Fellow LR owners in North and South America have tested them and have been extremely happy with the locker's operation (no clonks or harsh engagement of anything, just plain soft rolling of the wheels without any loss of traction or crazy wheelspins even with one or two wheels in the air)

I will be updating the discussion group on this new locker also.

-----------------------

As a bottom line if you decide to upgrade your LT230 with an ATB QUAIFE unit I am sure you will not regret it. It is a significant investment but it is more than worth your money if you take your Landy for fast spins on the tarmac or for serious and/or demanding offroading.

Best regards from Greece Pantelis Giamarellos LAND ROVER CLUB OF GREECE PROSIMO O.E. GIASGO Ltd

P.S. if you decide to buy the QUAIFE unit I can offer you 50% of my trade discount, namely a 10% discount on its retail price.

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Many thanks, Pantelis, for a very detailed and generous reply.

My interest in ATB diffs is the requirement for a Landy which behaves in a normal fashion on tarmac but perform better in muddy fields and occasional snow (without having to throw switches etc). I bought snow chains last year & they have been surprisingly good in mud too but a pain in the arse to fit.

Thanks again, I?ll have to check the purse strings.

[...]

glad to have been of assistance.

Money spent on a Quaife diff, especially for the LT230 center diff unit will reward you with a far more capable vehicle both on and off the road.

Snow chains are very good in mud too. BTDT and will totally agree with you. Surely beats having two sets of tyres and having to travel on long highway trips with purely offroad biased tyres. Just use 50/50 tyres on the road and when the mud appears use your snow chains and lower the tyre pressure (or increase it depending on the type and depth of mud)

Just remember to tighten the snowchains on a regular basis if they do not have an auto-tightening system (which you can made yourself by fitting a strong bungee band in a V shape on three points of the snowchain's inner circle on the outer side of the wheel.

Take care Pantelis

P.S. please excuse me for the delay in replying but have been away from the computer for a few days.

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos