Pinging Austin

Hi Austin, Have you spotted this for your Colchester crosslide.

270061389008 Regards. Ben
Reply to
Ben

On or around Thu, 30 Nov 2006 00:53:58 -0000, "Ben" enlightened us thusly:

no, I hadn't. thanks for the tip. The cross-slide feed is not bad on mine, but there is a bit of slack there

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Its just I remember you were asking how to get rid of the play in your crosslide nut. Regards. Ben

Reply to
Ben

On or around Fri, 1 Dec 2006 00:26:22 -0000, "Ben" enlightened us thusly:

quite possibly. I'm watching it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Isn´t it adjustable, like it is on the newer models ?

And is it possible to "ping" our Austin, "Bong" perhaps, a more resonant sound befitting a grander body.

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

Austin.... drugs will not be tollerated in this group!

;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Sat, 02 Dec 2006 19:38:10 +0000, steve Taylor enlightened us thusly:

dunno, I haven't looked.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sun, 03 Dec 2006 08:41:42 +0000, Austin Shackles enlightened us thusly:

Have now. single feedscrew with square thread (unless it's an ACME) and what seems to be a bronze nut on the underside of the cross-slide. Naturally, I took my eye off the ball on the one that was on ebay and missed the end of the auction, mind, that was a used nut with a new screw; on the face of it, I'd expect more wear in the nut.

I did however track down some of the endfloat and eliminate it; play in the handwheel end of the thing.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

What´s left over ?

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

On or around Sun, 03 Dec 2006 20:02:33 +0000, steve Taylor enlightened us thusly:

what, endfloat-wise? play between the nut and the screw. I've not measured it - I'll reassemble it tomorrow and have a look.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

As fractions of a rev of the handwheel- a couple of large divisions is fairly normal, tweaked, like we can do on ours, and its down to 3 small úns.

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

On or around Sun, 03 Dec 2006 21:14:40 +0000, steve Taylor enlightened us thusly:

I'll have a look when I've reassembled it. The play between the handwheel and the thing-I've-forgotten-the-name-of that bolts to the front of the apron was an obvious one to take out.

big divisions are 10 thou on this one - 200 thou per revolution.

Reply to
Austin Shackles