Piston Part II!

I'm all set to replace my pistons and rebuild the top my engine (2.5D N/A) over the weekend, a couple of queries to anyone who can help:

a) Piston ring 'gaps' - any particular way of arranging these? b) Any tips or things to watch for when restarting?

Thanks

Smudge

Reply to
Smudge

Yes! They method varies a bit from engine to engine, and of course I can't find the TD engine manual at the moment, but for Tdi's the gaps are arranged as follows with the arrow on the piston crown pointing towards the front of the engine :-

Top compression ring gap is at 11 o'clock Lower compression ring gap is at 5 o'clock Oil ring gap at 7 0'clock

looking at the top of the piston.

I'd recommend checking this before assembly as the position of the gaps is crucial in preventing the piston slapping in service.

Turn the engine over by hand (with the glow plugs out) and be sure that everything is nice and smooth before starting - some oil down the bores while hand truning won't do any harm.

Crossing fingers and having a bucket of language to hand may help...... ;-)

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Not that important so long as each alternate ring gap is on roughly opposite sides, they don't stay in the same position when running.

The position of the ring gaps is nothing to do with piston slap, piston slap is caused by incorrect piston to bore clearances which may include wear.

Oil on assembly would be better. Oh, and 0.003" per inch of bore for the gaps as a general rule if you are checking them in the bore which relates to about 0.012" for the Landrover to be safe.

Martin.

Reply to
Oily

We'll just have to disagree on that :-0 !

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

It's not a question of disagreement, what you said was wrong and I was only trying to put you right for the benefit of the OP. You are usually right 99% of the time and also very informative and helpful but no one can be right *all* of the time! :-)

Martin.

Reply to
Oily