Platinum spark plugs

Other supposed longevity what disadvantages are there when using standard spark plugs in place of platinum in a Bosch controlled 4.0 V8. Both OEM Champion platinum plugs and genuine LR leads fail frequently

Reply to
David Haggas

If you fit "normal" plugs, the leads will fail quicker due to the insulator body of the plug being a larger diameter than that of the correct plug. This stretches the plug lead boot, allowing moisture in and the terminal will then corrode rapidly, giving rise to a misfire or 8. Are you running LPG? If so, switch to Irridium plugs as the LPG eats the platinum coating....! Badger.

Reply to
Badger

is this true for any engine or just the v8? got platinum plugs in my LPG saab as they are what the book says and it was missing a lot and running badly with the old standard plugs.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Yep, LPG eats all platinum plugs, it isn't selective by vehicle manufacturer, lol. Have a look on google for an alternative plug from NGK - they do dedicated LPG plugs or Irridium plugs are good but expensive (though they do last a long time). Or find the copper-core equivalent to your standard platinum plug and just change it every, say, 24,000 miles.....?

Reply to
Badger

In message , Badger writes

I change mine every 12k - and reduce the gap a couple of thou. Also change the leads

Reply to
hugh

Many thanks for the replies and advice..Fitted new Champion RC11PYPB4 as recommended by LR. Everyone tries to tell you others (whichever they sell) are OK and cross reference etc but I don't trust them. Even double platinum certainly don't work at optimal performance on my engine (not LPG) for the standard 60k change interval. There is a very noticable increase in power from new plugs.

David

Reply to
David Haggas