Politics aside....

Not all that surprising really, but....

Probably a good time for LR to get back to their roots!#

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

"beamendsltd" wrote

Bound to happen eventually with the constant increase in fuel costs and the insidious negative reporting by the media.

But they really need to address the weight of their vehicles anyway, they should be on an aluminium chassis, for example, perhaps riveted and bonded as per Lotus. This would have great benefits both with economy and performance.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Lots of people throughout Europe (and wider) buy 4X4 (SUVs like TD4 & TD5 in particular) for towing year round. Kerbweight & Gross Train Weight are key factors for stable & safe towing .... generally the higher these are the easier it is to match with the chosen 'bit' that you propose to tow. If the kerbweight drops significantly they become useless for that application.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

beamendsltd uttered summat worrerz funny about:

yeah no real surprise...

"Opponents of the cars dislike their fuel consumption and some also believe they make congestion worse."

Fuel consumption is a fair point but how does a 4x4 make congestion worse than any other car? Sounds like the author has just spouted off drivel that sounds right rather than applied any thought to the article.... again.

Lee

Reply to
Dr_D

Richard uttered summat worrerz funny about:

TBH if it just become unfashionable and Drug dealers revert back to Pimped up Nissan Micras, Execs revert to Granada Scorpios (Come on Ford!) and we can all carry on as before blissfully beating the shit out of a worn bearing and generally loving up our Landies between chucking sand on the driveway and reading articles about SVO.

Our dearly beloved Climate Alarmists [1] will then no doubt go and chain themselves to the next easy target whilst shooting bollocks from the hip.

We tow which is our main use for the 4x4 other than a fondness of the simplicity / recyleability of the older marques.

Lee

[1] I do not dispute the Cliamte is changing, it's natural even though man has helped things along. I just dislike the language used by Climate alarmists which is comparable to Saddams WMD, Flying Pigs with Bird Flu and Wining the War against Terror... which we all believe in don't we.
Reply to
Dr_D

Yep

Hin Lee

I was pleased to see the new TD4 (Freelander 2) which has a 2.2 Diesel engine had an increased kerbweight _but_ a lower emission than the current

2.0 TD4 (which already sits comfortably under the Chancellor's punitive road tax bands) ..........

Dare I stick a finger in the air .......... ??

As a family we have one car (TD4) selected because it does what we need to do overall ........ it is reasonably frugal with fuel ........ and does not contribute to congestion ......... in any way that I can recognise anyway.

I guess we sing from the same more rational hymn sheet.

Stay well ............... Richard

Reply to
Richard

In the same way that "one council is considering linking the cost of parking to the size of cars" as it also says in the article.

It's because they're bigger, innit!

I'm sure it makes more sense if you know f*ck all about anything other than throwing dinner parties ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

That or brewery outings which I suspect they couldn't do owt about either but then Kato is no longer that the Scooby Wagon I had nor pretty much any larger estate suitable for carrying a couple of larger nutty dogs and pulling a trailer they all want the media time without realizing what tossers they look

Derek Kato 200TDi Disco

Reply to
Derek

Just had an entertaining thought. Suppose they charged by the pavement-foot for parking. Clearly those little Smart thingies would be cheap to park. My discovery should cost about the same as a Mondeo. Except that would not be in the spirit of the game and, anyway, since they turn like a barge, I would probably need a longer parking space just to get in to it.

Folk with poor reverse parking skills should pay more for the extra room they will need.

The numpties (my chosen word of the year so far) who park so close that you can no longer exit the spot should pay me for the space they have used that I paid for.

Parking end-on would be cheaper.

Anyway, It has absolutely nothing to do with the size of your car, or the amount of pollution it generates. For goodness sake, a car parked up all day is not doing any pollution and a low emission vehicle frequently takes up as much road as a high emission one. It is much more about council revenues and perceived ability/willingness to pay.

But you knew all that.

Reply to
Peter Harrison

On or around Fri, 05 Jan 2007 00:48:20 GMT, Peter Harrison enlightened us thusly:

especially when driven by doris and albert who are incapable of getting nearer than 4ft from the near side of the road in their avffna zvpen

Reply to
Lord Austin the Ebullient of Happy Bottomshire

It's not just the avffna zvpen drivers in this country that do that. We have a large number of cnpvsvp vfynaq immigrants who still seem to think they are in a country with little traffic, few traffic laws, a 30mph speed limit and a right to use all the road they desire - even the ones driving ex-Japan Discos.

Reply to
EMB

Climate etc aside, it looks like LR's biggest problem is going to be having a future at all. Reading between the lines a bit, it looks like Ford want to get into bed with Toyota which means (whether they care to admit it or not) effectively giving Toyota control a la the Daimler-Chrysler deal. LR would not then fit. It's difficult to see who would buy, since they all have pseudo off-roaders in their line ups. See this months LRM for some not-very-encouraging views from someone from LR North America.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

I don't know anything about throwing (up) at dinner parties.

Oh, I see, they're going to pay *me* for parking up all day 'cos there's no emissions coming from my gas-guzzling 4x4. I *like* that. Can we enforce that? :-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily