Portable Battery

Has anyone tried one of those portable batteries (like MAPLIN sell

to start a LR Diesel?? Its supposed to have 400A of starting power and I was wondering if this was enough for the 2.5TDI?? Thanks

Reply to
DM

*Confession*

I bought a similar item on Ebay because somebody kept leaving the lights on on her Cleo but the first time I had to use it was on my 4.6 V8 Rangie.

It spun it up OK and much face was saved.

nigelH

Reply to
Nigel Hewitt

They had one just like that on promo yesterday in a supermarket I go to in France, it was only 25 euros! I wandered around for ages with it in my basket until I decided that it probably wasn't good enough to start my DSE. Don't know if was right or not, but I had the same concerns as you, the diesel's do take a lot of uumph to get them going.

I like the Q & A at the bottom of the description. This one made me laugh - I feel like saying that sort of thing to some of my customers on eBay sometimes!

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

Machine Mart do a better one 900CCA for about the same price.

Reply to
SteveG

Hi

i bought one from macro for £12.99 + vat.

It started my hybrid 9.35:1 comp ratio ok.

You have to be careful with recharging these sealed units. Ref home made version.If you use the wrong charger or a standard battery charger you stnad a very good chance of killing it stone dead.

Googlr for more accurate info

Regards

Reply to
gb

Yup. Killed mine by using it as a power supply and running it to flat, only once was enough. Need to get another. My brother used his frequently during the winter to start an Isuzu 1800 diesel with no problems at all.

I've finally convinced him that it's kinder to the system to buy new glowplugs......

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

I have a YUASA sealed gel battery in the back that originally came from a computer uninteruptable power supply. It is charged off a split charge system, and I have never had any problem with it. Mind you I do not suppose it has ever been completely discharged as its only purpose is to power a couple of flourescent lamps and a water pump.

Reply to
Larry