Possible bump steer?

Hi everyone, I have a problem which I am having difficulty resolving with my

1984 110 TD. As soon as I hit a bump, series of small bumps mainly, or overbanding on a road between 20 - 30 mph I get a very large amount of shudder throughout the steering that will only disappear once my speed has dropped to below 20 mph. Honestly it feels like a wheel is about to drop off!

The only alteration to the vehicle that I have carried out is the fitment of

235/85 * 16 AT tyres on white steel 8 spokes. Apart from that no other mods have been made to the steering or suspension. I am due to replace the front dampers at the earliest possible opportunity.

However, what I would really like to know before committing too much time and money to the wrong solutions is: -

1 - Will fitting new dampers cure this problem especially as I cannot test the current ones? I cant even compress the front of my landy by more than 1/2 an inch ruling out a rebound test?

2 - Would a knock to the steering from some previous off roading cause a change in the castor angle and what should I look for? There are no obvious signs of damage. i.e. it all looks straight?

3 - Have I missed something other than the above and if so what else could I be looking for?

Looking forward to reading your replies. Many thanks in advance.

Jase

Reply to
Jase

I would get the swivel pre-load checked. If it's never been done I'd stake my mortgage on it being ready for reshimming. Not horribly expensive and will transform the on-road manners.

At the same time, for the small cost, I'd fit a decent new steering damper. A ten minute job, just make sure you prime the damper before you fit it (instructions will be included, but you basically compress and extend it three times or so).

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Almost certainly the swivel preload, exacerbated by the oversize tyres, although these are not large enough to pose a real problem. This symptom is typical of inadequate preload.

But I would also check the tie rod and drag link ball joints and the panhard rod bushes, and the wheel bearings.

Reply to
JD

Also, what's the offset on the wheels? If they're significantly different from standard that could be causing this too.

Reply to
EMB

Before you start pulling things apart have a look for something really simple - mud stuck to the insides of the wheels can put them out of balance and cause similar problems as you describe.

Check out a few Landy parts at --

Roger Martin