potential daft question (do I ask any other sort?)

Morning chaps,

well, after an evening excitement (having to retrieve wifey from Hemel Hempsted hospital after a call from Motorway control telling me the paramedics were taking her in but they didnt know what was up with her - she's ok) I find myself at home today and deep in thought.

After having lost Gump to arsonists about a month ago I deemed it a waste of time trying to salvage anything.

This morning I could take some time to have a look at the wreck, and its time to ask some questions.

1) The fire has gutted the inside completey (no surprises) but as some of the rear body panelling and paint is intact, would the heat have got low enough to bugger up the chassis?

2) the tyres burned out because of the fact that there were external combustables (12 fence panels to be precise) that went up a treat - so would the springs and axles be recoverable?

3) Engine bay - one batter only has surface melting, and most of the plastics covering the wiring have melted, but again, lots of external combustables, but, all the rad hoses are intact, so would the engine be screwed (perkins diesel)?

Now i'm not asking for a definitive yes or no here, but what are the chances of me recovering things like the engine, gearbox, overdrive, axles, chassis, and being able to make something of it?

Might be a complete waste of time and effort, but, I would like to think that last years investment in a play vehicle isnt wasted (and Mrs K has banned me from having anything else, but as I have this already..... - see where I'm coming from?)

Si

Reply to
Simon K

Hope Mrs K is ok..... I've had a few of them deep thought provoking moments too, they put things into perspective and give us the occasional reality check we need. This is one of the reasons Percy and Morph take so long to do anything with, you just can't put family life on hold.

Doubt it...If the ally pannels aren't warped at the rear then the chassis should be fine.

Yes, but you may well be advised to replace all the seals and gaskets.. Also brake caliper seals too and hoses but I guess you would do that anyway.

No I guess with this description the engine should be fine.

All of the above should be ok...just the seals on the axles need checking.

I know that feeling well....next you will be haggling conservatorys for 101' ;-)

With the above all I would advise is you take extreme caution around the battery and any gaskets which may have burnt , the gaskets release acid which will eat your fingers before you realise that the irritation is itchy, or so our Health and safety people advise us.

Dakar Kit?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

She isn't 100%, in fact she's barely over 75%, but she said she felt a severe headache (read migraine) coming on, then she couldn't stand the light, and managed to get the rollerskate of a hire car (1000cc corsa) across to the hard shoulder and reach an SOS phone.

Thats what I was thinking - most of the ally has melted away, but as I basically had Gump camouflaged as a shed this isnt surprising.

Yep, replace anything thats rubber based

Worth a try isnt it!

Having just read the article in 101, Mrs K has agreed that although an ambi wouldn't be practical, the flatbeds.....

Was figuring on trying to hose down the engine compartment and then set about cutting the engine out.

Possibly....

Si

Reply to
Simon K

At least Mrs K's in good hands, we will keep our fingers crossed.

I've often looked at little cars thinking how nice the economy would be...but the thought of little cars in RTC's soon puts me looking at the

4x4's again.

Got to be ...what else can you do..give up...nah!

:-) And you's get a GS around Cannock chase too...and get to scare yourself even more going skyward and then back down again.

Definately.... (9 inch circular saw blade and a trailer for the scrap should sort it in no time...what fun too!...not to much to hire for a day either for a petrol one)...or a propane gas axe if you know any one with one/ access to one.

Well the engine and box would fit a 101

Reply to
Lee_D

I'll go along with that. Although all of the 'heavy' metal bits will probably be fine, they'll need dissassembling, cleaning and reassembling with new seals, washers, gaskets where appropriate.

Also remember that plastics burn to create nasties, keep gloves, goggles and a mask on at all stages, wash everything thoroughly.

When cutting it up, get a plastic tarp and use it as a groundsheet - this way you'll catch anything nasty as it falls. When done, fold it up, stick it in a large bin bag/liner and send it for COSHH disposal (cost about a fiver).

Reply to
Mother

After years of looking at an awful lot of fire and flood damaged motors. My suggestion would be leave well alone. One reply has quite correctly pointed out the health and safety risks. Frankly they are worse. cutting and poking about for causes and assessment used to be my thing. there is not enough dollars on the planet to get me close to fire damaged vehicles now a days.

experience of others that have attempted salvage of same is littered with unexpected failure.

sorry for doom and gloom answer. put it behind and walk away from it.

best regards Brian

Reply to
BRIAN KEMP

On or around Mon, 07 Jul 2003 13:03:31 +0100, Mother < "@ {mother} @"@101fc.net> enlightened us thusly:

and be very very careful with some of the bits. There are some bits (I believe flexi brake lines are one) which while being burnt can produce hydrofluoric acid. (see

among others) Hydrofluoric contamination can, if yer unlucky, only be cured by amputation, and this is not a joke. Note that you'll not find huge amounts of Hydrofluoric acid, as the conditions for its creation are quite specific.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Can I just add my bit to the warning......

any rubber bits containing flouroelastomers will release hydroflouric acid, this is very, very nasty stuff. It doesn't just burn the skin, it leaches up inside the bones. The only cure is amputation, they have to keep cutting back until they find a clean bit, that the acid hasnt reached. As you will not know which bits contain these flouroelastomers, iis as well to assume everything does, the more likely candidated are flexible brake hoses, any 'o' ring seals, and brake seals. Might be as well to ask at your local fire station, they will have information on exactly how to treat this stuff.

Reply to
SimonJ

I think a lot of speculation may be happening.

I based my original reply upon the following information:

"The fire has gutted the inside completey (no surprises) but as some of the rear body panelling and paint is intact,"

and

"all the rad hoses are intact"

Indications that some paint remains and that the rad hoses were intact, together with there being two sources of main fire (inside and the fences outside) may possibly be read as ther overall 'heat' may not have been high.

Obviously any such question will only be subject of the benefit of personal opinions. Those personal opinion being reassuringly broad in this particular thread, I guess :-)

Reply to
Mother

Eh...Mine was based on this.....

"Slight cigarette burn to passenger seat...good valet should sort"

;-)

Lee.

Reply to
Lee_D

Reply to
Lee_D

Christ, what's all this about. Hope I dont have to become like Admiral Nelson, just because I burnt the cup covers on the UJ with a blow lamp, when I was trying to regrease and then cleaned them by hand.

You play with matches your gonna get burned (or Arm cut off!)

Guy

Reply to
Guy Lux