potentially dumb question...

but one i feel I have to ask!

The time has come to sell the rangie (sniff)(sob)

So thought I had better give her a proper clean up, and put the 7 seat conversion back in (yes a proper 7 seat conversion with seat belts all round)

Anyways, the dumb question, the engine bay has got a fair amount of grot all over, (mud grot not oil grot) and I would like to clean it all off - whats the best way of doing it?

I'm wondering if a session with the pressure washer would be ok - but being a v8 i'm nervous about getting water in the electrics, but, as she's going to be parked on the driveway, and I can leave the bonnet up in this sunshine and breeze, would it be a problem?

Cheers all

Si

Reply to
Si K

Not dumb at all, IIMSS.

I've used a pressure washer in the engine bay of a RR with no problems. I used a spray of Gunk first to get rid of the oily stuff, but you may not need to. Keep the lance as far away as possible consistent with doing the job (ie, don't shove it up too close), and keep it away from electrics, connectors, fragile-looking bits - common sense, really. As long as you are sensible, I don't think it's necessary to cover anything up. Leave the bonnet up as long as possible, and spray the vital bits with WD40 or suchlike immediately. I started it up (I'm addicted to the sigh of relief when it fires after any engine work) and let it run for a few minutes to warm it through before letting it dry off. Not something I'd do every week, but once in a while shouldn't do much harm.

Usual warnings apply, but I've always found this OK.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Ive pressure washed a couple of engines. Whenever i do it i start it up first, and let it get slightly warm as this seems to encourage it to start again afterwards!. On cars with exposed air filters (like K&N's) i put a bag over em first. I cover up oil breathers too if theyre exposed.

After youve washed it, start it up and let it run for a little while to dry it off. You may have to pop the dissy cap off and dry it out before you can start it depending on how much water you manage to get in it!

Reply to
Tom Woods

I powerwash my engine for mot every time. Never had a problem yet. Maybe I'm just lucky.....;-)

Reply to
Martin Edwards