"Privacy" tinted windows: reversible?

Thanks for responses to P38 question. I've been having a flick through Ebay and I've seen more than one interesting car marred, to my mind, by tinted rear windows. Since I'm not a drug dealer and rarely give Madonna a life these days, can anyone tell me whether the film which presumably has been applied can be successfully removed? Will it peel off? Could I, one of the least practical owners of a Land Rover 8-) sort it? TIA...

Reply to
Andrew

If it is film yes, hours with razor blades to get the smaller bits off.

If it part of the glass, factory fit its usually the glass its self that is tinted so that would need window replacement.

Simplest way is to start giving Maddona a lift again.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

And be almost impossible on the rear screen without beggering up the HRW element...

My previous DII had factory fit tinted rear windows, that was a film. As I found out when a loose load in the rear scractched it.

Or replace the glass...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In article , Andrew writes

Marge's are peeling off :-(

But then' in a CSW, there's otherwise no effective way to hide tools, shopping, etc.* The tint works very well for that purpose. I can appreciate why it's not so needful in a Disco or RR though, but we're not all drug dealers y'know... :-)

Cheers,

S.

*Yes, you can simply cover stuff with a tarp. or whatever, but to my mind that only attracts the blighters. If they can't see in (but can see the red LED on the dash glowing), they don't know if it's worth risking the alarm for an otherwise empty vehicle and go elsewhere. It's worked well so far round 'ere.
Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

I'll vouch for that. Completely fecked my rear window heater and high level brake light.

Smashed it myself and claimed of the insurance (fully comp with protected NCB) for a new one - cheap as chips :-)

Reply to
SteveG

tut tut

Reply to
Nige

Absolutely fair point! My approach is purely aesthetic: I think that dark tint in RRs looks nasty. Thanks for this and other responses...

Reply to
Andrew

On or around Tue, 19 Jan 2010 20:37:32 +0000, Nige enlightened us thusly:

I might have to resort to that. Normally, the council do f*ck all but spread minor boulders all over the road, but now I've got a shagged windscreen on the motor and want it replaced, there's not a bloody chipping in sight. Mind, the roads are all breaking up cos of the frost, so that would be a good excuse.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I know, but the cost of a new one is HORRENDOUS!

God will forgive me :-)

Reply to
SteveG

No I won't

Reply to
hugh

Use a steamer on the film and you have a good chance of getting both it and the glue off. Use a razor for the final clean up. I've used this on demister windows without breaking the demister strips.

Reply to
Paul Saccani