Proposed Low Emission Zone for London

So what arrangements had you made for the security of this valuable cargo at your destination - and what arrangements for parking where you were to unload? It's getting even less likely you had 'never heard' of the congestion charge since this must have been a business trip.

If you need the vehicle because it's carrying goods you should be pleased about the congestion charge making travelling around the centre easier - I certainly am as I too use a commercial vehicle in central London - just not a car for transporting only myself.

BTW, I rarely use the tube. I prefer the overground or buses.

Good - we probably wouldn't have understood you anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No he didn't, I'm a position to know. A londoner who can't see past his own nose, what a surprise!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I took it out and used it.

Loading bay at the customer, then moved to an NCP nearby once it was upstairs. It's all so complicated isn't it, these strange people who need to carry tools for their jobs! Are they from another planet?

You really need to learn to read, and to get out more, I mean into the real world. I've already pointed out elsewhere that you're making up the bit about me not having heard of the congestion charge. Also I don't see what it being a business trip has to do with it, it changes nothing.

The congestion charge only made it easier to travel in the first few months, traffic is back to an average speed of 9MPH in london, the same level as before. Funnily enough they aren't going to drop the idea though.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Whoops! I did say that! Didn't mean it though ;-)

However I did post more that clarified it in this thread, which you must have read.

It's not like that at all. Parking charges are very widely known but the congestion charge was the first of its kind, *now* I'll be more wary as I know what crappers the TFL lot are, and that other cities are likely to follow suit.

Secondly, if you go into a car park, you can drive out without paying if you don't park. If you drive into London, you've already agreed to abide by the rules that you've not seen yet.

No, all they need to do is to give you 7 days or so to pay the charge, what's wrong with that? Do you think that it *needs* to be by 10PM on the day of travel? It's needlessly mean-spirited.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Please read his post again and explain how I've misread it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That comment referred to you not having heard of the congestion charge - and well you know it since I selectively quoted the part I was commenting on.

Tee hee. No matter how you squirm you *did* write that you didn't know about it. I'm not a mind reader and can only comment on what is written.

No - the charge should go up until it bites again. It's not essential vehicles of any type - including your use - which cause the problems but private cars with a single commuter.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah. I'd probably have kept quiet then. Despite most who actually live in the congestion and surrounding areas being in favour of it - they did after all have a vote.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes I know as you showed me, but I didn't when I wrote it, so sorry about jumping down your throat *quite* so hard.. I hate it when that happens!

Well, whatever the issue, the thing I'm bitching about is the spitefulness of the "pay by 10PM", which is intended to be carried across to the new "LEZZER" zone or whatever it's called, but this time with *much* steeper fines and less clarity on who is and isn't required to pay it.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Why just London ? Surely if we really mean it as a nation we should all participate in this Farce. Methinks Ken is running into budget problems for the Olympics; would'nt be so bad if the money was used for a good cause but it is'nt.

BEWARE; you may live out of the sphere of influence at present, but when other councils see this money spinner you will all become affected ( did'nt speed cameras start in London ? )

Principles are a wonderful thing when you can afford them.

Reply to
John H

Manchester is already on the move;

Ian Rawlings

Contingent on them wasting 2 Billion quid on "improvements to the Public transport infrastructure" Speaking 4 miles outside the charging zone. Guess how much business I'm not going to do inside the zone...

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Really? Perhaps you don't know London public transport well, but most of the underground rolling stock has been replaced relatively recently as have the buses. Which the congestion charge has contributed to.

I can't speak for other cities, but the centre of London was as near grid lock as possible and something had to be done. London may be a special case with its pretty decent public transport - but even if it was free and 10 times better plenty would still want to use their cars. And sod those who have to live there.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

.. and still is.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Actually I do having lived and worked here for 25 years.

As the public transport sytem benefits all not just drivers it would seem unfair that we are penalized as a minority when funds mis-spent by the London Boroughs could be better utilized.

You obvously don't use it in rush hour and late at night or read the myriad complaints regarding the costs.

Prove it Ken put your money into a decent free system and THEN ban all transport, no exceptions. Bald statements without evidence are meaningless

It's a free world ( so we are told )

If you don't like it then perhaps you have the choice to move out; as we have the choice to use the LEZ or not. .

Reply to
John H

In news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk, Dave Plowman (News) wibbled :

Wasn't aware of the dictat that living in London was mandatory, like pretty much everything in this life it is their/your choice. There are ONLY 3 things one MUST do in this life: be born, die and temporarily occupy a bit of space, absolutely everything else is by choice. You might not like the alternatives but they're there!

Reply to
GbH

Eh? The idea of the congestion charge is to discourage traffic. I'm sure you obviously don't like that idea and would prefer to sit in a traffic jam all day without moving - as would eventually happen. London simply isn't designed for the volume of traffic that is trying to use it. Nor are most of our cities. Perhaps you have an alternative solution?

I rarely use it in rush hour, true. I start work before the worst part and finish after the evening one. I should say I'm freelance and don't work at the same place all the time. Some I go to work sometimes by public transport and sometimes by car depending on the location. But if that location is in the centre or involves crossing the centre to get to I use PT.

So who is going to pay for this free transport? You're apparently objecting to contributing to the running costs via the congestion charge. But would be happy to pay the full cost via council tax? Doesn't somehow make sense. And why should Londoners subsidise commuter travel? That is the main problem - not local stuff. Just check out all the arterial routes into London in the morning rush hour.

Not much in this world is free.

I both live and work in London. And don't see why my quality of life should be so effected by those who choose to live outside but drive to work in London. It may be a free world but all actions have costs.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's not mandatory. And neither is visiting the centre by car. There are alternatives.

What everyone here seems to ignore is the congestion charge formed a heavily debated part of the local elections for mayor. And 'Ken' got elected - twice. Much to the chagrin of those who don't like him but such is life.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Perhaps the ability to live in London is due to the goods transited in to support the population, be it intellect or physical goods.

"quality of life is in part a measure of your ability to trample on other peoples real needs"

Reply to
John H

Goods in transit aren't the problem. 'Intellectual' goods can travel by PT.

I don't give a stuff about the 'need' of someone to commute by car when there are viable alternatives. They are simply being selfish.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just for the record, what Land Rover do you drive ?

Reply to
John H