purchase of freelander

I am about to purchase a freelander 1.8xi w reg 2ooo. ita got 44000 on the clock and looks very tidy in and out.What should i be looking out for ? i am getting it from a small independent garage and have negotiated a price of 7300 and a cd player - it just seems a bit cheap!! please reply to email address ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com)

thanks

Reply to
gavinredman
1999 V reg 5door 1.8XI at auction last week went for £5150
Reply to
Richard

Think you'd better try to find a diesel Freelander.The diesel engines (TDI and TD4) are far more reliable and durable than the petrol engine. You can read a lot on the net about the problems with the 1.8 petrol engine (MGF,Elise,Rover and Freelander) Blown head gaskets,damaged cylinder linings aso.

Reply to
Woodstock

Wouldn't touch a petrol freebie with a shitty pole. The engines are prone to early failure. It doesn't sound especially cheap either.

TD4 is a much better bet, either auto or manual.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Go for a TD4 and stay clear of the petrol versions! Even my local LR dealer suggested the TD4 to be a far more reliable machine. I guess he could not really say otherwise as the problems with the petrol ones are so widely known and reported.

Reply to
Steve Cork

The reason it is cheep is because you can't give the things away.

Too much bad press (often rightly so) on the 1.8 petrol. I now refuse to underwrite 1.8 Freelanders

Stick to the TD4 if you can a much better car.....and much easier to sell on afterwards.

Good luck.

Reply to
Marc Draper