Question for the MoT experts

Having got Tiggrr running as it should, I want to be able to use it (occasionally, in summer) on the road and although it has a current MoT certificate, I feel it would be wise/necessary to get it tested again. My question to all the MoT experts out there is: what is the minimum necessary to get a vehicle legally roadworthy?

Having read the MoT website

I am quoting it in my sleep, my understanding is as follows: Apart from being in a generally sound mechanical condition (bodywork, suspension, brakes, seat belts, emissions etc.) which I will assume are OK until told otherwise (!) there are only a small number of additional requirements:

parking brake rear reflectors rear-view mirrors as specified (one driver's side, one interior or nearside) number plates horn, and

er...

that's it. No "position lights" (ie sidelights) are necessary if the vehicle is not used at night or in conditions of reduced visibility (and the certificate is endorsed to this effect). If there are no position lights, the vehicle does not need headlights, indicators, number plate lights, hazard lights or brakelights (although I'll be fitting brakelights anyway).

The exhaust must not leak, but the silencer only has to make sure that the noise is not "unreasonable". (Depends a lot on whether the tester likes a good V8 "bark".)

Wipers and washers not needed if the vehicle is fitted with "some other means of providing the driver with a view of the road". I assume that a mesh screen falls into this category. There are rules for the condition of the windscreen (including opening windscreens) but nothing to say a vehicle has to have one.

Speedometer is not mentioned anywhere, although I'll be refitting it.

So that's it then. Or is it? It's got a handbrake, horn, number plates and reflectors, and it'll have mirrors next week. It CAN'T be that simple, surely?

Anyone help?

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Doesn't need one

Don't check them

yep afraid it is Just be careful some tester may think your taking the piss so they may try to get you on something. if they fail it, ask to look at the manual to see what it says

Andy

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

When I took the Beast for its MOT, it had no windscreen, but did have all the lights fitted. The exhaust has a silencer, but does bark a bit!

I found that that the tester took one look at it, shoved the gas probe in the exhaust, and took it for a spin, and wrote me a ticket! It does help that he does a lot of grass track racing, so likes this sort of vehicle!!! I guess my experience was lucky!!

He said that there is a simple rule of thumb.... If it isn't there and it isn't a legal requirement for that age/type of vehicle it can't be tested, and hence cannot fail on that item! Little things like not having a screen removes 3 inspection points straightaway: screen condition, wipers, screen washers...

Good luck!

-- Simon Isaacs

Peterborough 4x4 Club Chairman and Webmaster

3.5V8 100" Hybrid Part owner of 1976 S3 LWT, currently under restoration Suzuki SJ410 (ex-Girlfriend, at the moment......) Series 3 88" Rolling chassis...what to do next Pug 106 (offroaded once!!)
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

||| It CAN'T ||| be that simple, surely? ||| || yep afraid it is || Just be careful some tester may think your taking the piss || so they may try to get you on something. if they fail it, ask to || look at the manual to see what it says || || Andy ||

Cheers Andy - I had hoped someone would say this. In fact, I have downloaded most of the manual from the MoT site and highlighted the relevant bits, so I should be able to show it to him, rather than ask him to show it to me. My usual tester's a good'un, but I've never presented anything this radical to him before.

TVM.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

My usual tester's a good'un, but I've never presented anything this

Then phone him and tell him what you are going to do and ask his advice. Yours Gmacz

Reply to
Gmacz

My late Grandad was in the RAC many many years ago. They used a coffee tin on the running boards. If you could make it fall over the brakes were good. It wasn't quite square, so if you could make it fall over when it was longwise then you had _very_ good brakes.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

I used to take my IIA down to the MOT station with the screen folded down, it saved me having to fix the wipers and washers. No doors, therefore no ensuring they shut securely (they didn't)

Used to leave it in 4wd as well, so they had to use a tapley. Testing the whole vehicle's braking effort is much more forgiving. Although he did make me sit in the passenger seat with the tapley between my feet so it didn't fly out onto the road. Have you any idea how much those things cost, cos you don't wanna know.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

I was wondering tonight about the divided windscreen. One of the windscreen wiper jets on the passenger side is not very effective, but seeing as that is not actually the drivers window does it matter ?

Reply to
Larry

If its just a single jet on each side with one not working it's a fail (series are single aren't they I can't remember and it's too cold to check) if it's two or more jets on each side with one not working it should pass It has to supply an adequate amount of water to the screen just what is 'adequate' is up to the tester you can divert one jet of a twin jet set up to each side that's ok but you must have water to both sides

Andy

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

|| My usual tester's a good'un, but I've never presented anything this ||| radical to him before. || || Then phone him and tell him what you are going to do and ask his || advice. Yours Gmacz

No, I think I'll let it be a surprise. ;-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Just unscrew the washer jets from the bonnet. If it hasn't got them, you can't test them

Alex

Reply to
Alex

On a similar subject. Do I need 2 wipers for the MOT?. I have the series 2 seperate motor types and one of them is playing up.

Will i fail the mot if the passenger wiper doesnt work?. Do i need to take it off, or will it be okay as it can be turned by hand?

Reply to
Tom Woods

doesn't work like that! it has to have them if you have a windscreen remove the windscreen then your OK

Andy

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

And it would probably fail.

The complication here is that washers and wipers are required except for vehicles with an opening windscreen, which is theoretically true for series landrovers, but the tester could reasonably ask for this to be demonstrated.

Nick

Reply to
nick nelson

It does not have to have washers if it has a windscreen. Vehicles build before 1955 certainly don't have to have washers. None of my IIA's had washers fitted originally. If they have been retro-fitted then they have to work.

As for a lot of things in the MOT test, they can only be tested if they are there. The MOT test is a test of roadworthiness, not a test of wether the vehicle is built or conforms to UK construction and use regulations.

For example: many Far East import vehicle do not have rear fog lights. When they are imported into the UK they must be fitted with them. However, for an MOT test, the fog light is not a requirement, it simply must work if it's there. Should PC plod stop you and decide to have the vehicle inspected by the Vehicle Inspectorate, then they will fail the vehicle as "not fit for UK road use" and issue a recitification order and/or prosecute.

Another example: Very early Series 1's do not have flashers. On these vehicles absence of indicators is not a failure for the MOT test, but if they have been fitted, then they must work.

In short, you'd be amazed what you don't have to have for a vehicle to pass the MOT test.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

This rule only applies to hazard lights and seat belts anything else retro fitted does not need to be tested

So if I remove my handbrake it can't fail?

If it was first used after april 1st 1980 it must have a fog light whether it's an import or not as these vehicles go for a SVA test before they go for MOT (had one in about 6 weeks ago mitsubishi something or other registration 77-71)

No I wouldn't I'm an MOT tester

Andy

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

Then you havn't read the manual recently.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Oh yes I have I have it in front of me

the Manual states "washers and wipers This inspection applies to All vehicles, except those - with an opening windscreen or - with some other means of providing the driver with an adequate view"

Yes technically the land rover has an opening windscreen but I want to see someone open it when it starts to rain or is yours a zip fastener

As for your other point Imported cars ! the manual states "vehicle first used dates - application of test criteria a vehicle 'first used' date is: a: it's date of manufacture, if the vehicle was originally used without being registered in GB (e.g.. an imported vehicle or ex HM forces vehicle)"

Incidentally which garage does your testing?

Andy

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

On or around Thu, 18 Dec 2003 07:00:36 -0000, "Andy.Smalley" enlightened us thusly:

have to admit I thought that a series one could get away with only 1 wiper, since the screens are separate.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

this comes under reason for rejection 1c "a wiper installed for the use of the driver does not operate over an area of the windscreen large enough to give the driver an adequate view of the road (through the windscreen) to the left and right sides of the vehicle as well as to the front"

I interpret this to mean that if the vehicle has one wiper it must wipe both sides of the screen

Andy

Reply to
Andy.Smalley