Question: Putting LR90 low gears

Ok, newbish question: We've had our Landie (a V8) in the family for 18 years now and it probably used its low gears once or twice in its lifetime -- I know I should be ashamed, but the Landie has led quite an urban life. Anyway, the problem is that now, when trying to switch to low gear ratio, the gears vehemently refuse to engage. A friend (and also V8 90 owner) said that they're known for being stubborn. Is there a way of "persuading" the gearbox to switch to low without the need to have it looked at first? I've heard it may work better if the vehicle's moving at a couple of miles per hour but that didn't seem to work for me. Suggestions?

On a side note, the gearbox has been like that for several years now and I didn't mind much, but I recently experienced the same procedure in Mercedes G-Wagens and was shocked with how easy it was.

Geo

Reply to
Geo

Sometimes mine won't change going the other way until I give the drivetrain a bit of a shove, so I start the engine, put main gearbox in 1st or reverse, put pressure on transfer box to move it towards neutral, then bring up the clutch so that the vehicle starts to move then press the clutch back down again.

If that doesn't work, try doing the same but instead of pressing the clutch down again, press the accelerator a bit then come back off it, all while maintaining the pressure on the lever to move into neutral.

If none of that works, then further action is needed.

It's easy on the Defender too, what you're probably seeing here is the difference between a lever that's been used and one that hasn't, not really a difference between G-wagen and Defender. I reverse mine out of my drive at least once a week and put it into low range to do so, no real need to, other than making sure that low range gets used once in a while.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

At a guess the selector lever has seized through lack of use. You can get at it by taking the drivers floor out (and maybe the transmission tunnel: I can't remember). The relevant lever and shaft assy. is held on by 6 bolts. Take it off and free off in a vice, then replace.

There's probably a few wrinkles I've forgotten but it's basically a fairly simple job.

Gordon.

Reply to
gordon

I had similar on my 20 year old 110 V8 with LT85 box, my problem was I couldn't move it side to side to engage diff lock, it was, as suggested above, the mechanism had just siezed, so out with the floor, copious amounts of WD40 and GENTLE persuasion back and forth for a while had it working perfectly. Don't force it too much, the mechanism is not super strong. If the Hi Lo lever moves back and forth easily, then it must be something inside the box, provided you first check everything is connected as it should be underneath. Usually requires the main box to be in gear and double de-clutch whilst changing Hi to Lo or back to get my mine to engage properly, but always goes in without any forcing.

Cheers,

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

Assuming that the lever doesn't move - a typical result of lack of use

- try the WD40 or whatever on the entire linkage from below before you start ripping the floor up. Try it over several days if you don't succeed at first and don't be too brutal as Andrew recommends.

It might not work but if it does you'll save yourself an awful lot of pain.

Once cured, just engage it every so often to keep the linkage free.

Reply to
Dougal

Might sound really stupid but are you moving the lever the right way? Even I did this once - and I am used to LRs!

Reply to
Vince