Quick Disco question

For a variety of reasons, the Rangie is going to have to go sometime before the summer, so I've been having a quiet look at a few alternatives. So far these have been 300 series Disco autos, early and late models. Couple of quick queries for the Discoholics out there:

Are all the 300 engines mechanical (ie not computerised)? I'd heard that the latest ones had some form of ECU engine management, but it could be a myth.

Is the ZF autobox the same or similar to that used in the RRC?

Is there any foolproof way to tell if the timing belt modification has been done? (Bear in mind that anyone can put a blob of paint on an engine.) Is this an issue on all 300Tdis, or did LR fix it towards the end? Is the redesigned pulley assembly a complete solution, or would a Zeus kit be a better option long-term?

Had a drive in one today (R-reg 300 auto) and liked the car, but there was a whistling noise noticeable on slack throttle which went away when a load was applied. Sounded just like a squeaky fanbelt, but after the drive we stood with the bonnet up and the engine idling and what was a minor noise when in the car became a loud squeaky chattery noise from the front of the engine, which got worse the longer we let it idle. It seemed to be coming from the belt tensioner, which was waggling with the movement of the belt and the noise seemed to match the movement, IYSWIM. Seller said the tensioner was the problem (this made sense from what I saw) and he would fix it before sale. Known and simple issue, or total bollocks?

All help gratefully received! Cheers.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

You got a P38 for sale matey?

Detaiols if so, would be handy!

Nige (after a P38)

-- Subaru WRX (The Bitch)

Series 3 Landrover 88" (Albert)

"If you tolerate this then your children will be next"

Reply to
Nige

So Nige was, like

Nige

I'll mail you off-group.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around Fri, 18 Feb 2005 19:38:53 -0000, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

late-model 300s (especially autos, I think) have a modified pump with EDC. You can tell by the presence of an airflow meter between the aircleaner and the turbo.

also on engine numbers: auto with EDC is 19L, manual is 17L.

HBOL doesn't list power/torque separately, but ISTR that the EDC autos have more of both.

same, near enough

not really. cover off, inspect belt... on one without full history of belt changes, change it anyway - if it's been changed by a reputable lot, then run it 'til the next change - 36K miles seems a good interval.

serpentine belt tensioner is known to fail. It's not too expensive and an easy fix - 15mm socket on a big long bar, take the tension off the belt, unhook belt from alternator, remove 15mm nut which holds the tensioner on, replace tensioner with new one, used 15mm and bar to lift it against the spring, put belt back.

I've pulled the dud bearing from our old one with a view to getting a replacement - appears to be an ordinary-looking ballrace, might be double-row; I've naturally not gotten around to tracing the number. Swapping the bearing looks pretty easy too, and doubtless cheaper.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hi Richard.

It is only the Automatic 300 tdis that went over to EDC (fly by wire injection pump and airflow meter) in the UK . Those after 1996.

Yes the autobox will be the same as the RRC. ie: 300 RRC fitted with the same autobox as the 300 Disco.

Just change the belt is the easiest way to be sure. It is only on R reg and later that the factory started to fit the mod kit.

Yes the mod kits do the job. I have fitted probably fifty and none have failed. Some of those are now on their second belt after the mod. In my opinion the Zeus kit is a noisy expensive complication to an otherwise excellent engine. Once the belt mod has been fitted you should have no worries and also have the knowledge that you can replace any part within the timing cover anywhere in the world without having to wait for the parts.

The belt noise is more likely to be the belt itself, they can make the most metallic of noises, but if it is the tensioner it is not the end of the world.

Hope this helps

Reply to
Marc Draper

So Austin Shackles was, like

Dim question - what's EDC? (Thought I knew all the LR acronyms by now.) What does it do? Does it give trouble? Would it be better to go for an earlier one without? Is it like EGR and best diconnected?

Makes sense.

Sounds like it's within my capabilities. Thanks. for the info

Reply to
Richard Brookman

So Marc Draper was, like

Those are the ones I'm looking at. EDC good or bad?

I've had three ZF autos now, and I rate them highly.

As I said, these are the ones (R and thereabouts). Is there any way of telling if it's been done?

It does, thanks.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

So Nige was, like

Nige - mailed you last night - did it get there?

Reply to
Richard Brookman

No.... only by taking the cover off and having a look. you might as well change the belt while you are at it.

-- Marc

FOR SALE : DISCOVERY II (02) SERENGETTI 7SEAT 39,000 MILES FSH DISCOVERY II (51) GS7, ACE, SLS, CLIMATE,67,000 MILES B.F.G AT'S DISCOVERY TDI R REG EPSOM GREEN, 7SEATS, AC, AW. DISCOVERY TDI M REG VAN 100,000 MILES.

Reply to
Marc Draper

On or around Sat, 19 Feb 2005 18:20:14 -0000, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

Electronic Diesel Control, no less. fly-by-wire. but it does that by controlling a conventional (ish) injection pump, not common rail or unit injector (a la TD5)

takes about 5 minutes to replace the tensioner, once you have the long swivel handle and the 15mm socket. bit longer than that if you replace the bearing only; I was planning on doing that to the old one so as to have a spare.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

So Nige was, like

Nige, I've sent you a couple of emails but no replies. Are you interested? If not, let me know.

Reply to
Richard Brookman