R/R battery drain

My 2001my R/R vogue battery goes flat within a week if not used,have fitted new battery but still goes flat.Any ideas! many thanx in advance Tim

Reply to
Tim

Have you or your neighbours got a wireless weather station?

Reply to
EMB

Something is obviously draining it by being left on. :)

Could be a c*ck to track down or could be something simple - Radio, Light somewhere??

I had a 200tdi that the glow plug relay broke on, meaning the glow plugs were on all the time - That killed them and the battery.

You can get this from maplin which should identify which circuit the offending item is on.

Mark Solesbury

It will be the BeCM not going to sleep as it should. It can get kept up by all sorts of stuff, like wifi weather stations & other stuff.

Reply to
Nige

I updated the key reciever and solved the problem on my 96 HSE. However you might have the later model on a 2001.

There are just too many things using that band now to have a wide band reciever that wakes up all the onboard computers to test the signal it recieves. Weather stations, TV headsets, Alarm systems. Heck I can buy the modules at Maplins and invent something of my own.

nigelH

Reply to
Nigel Hewitt

Thanks,might try and disconnect the receiver and see if that works.

Reply to
Tim

If you have a multimeter, you need to connect it in series with the battery connection, make sure that everything is off and measure the current drain on the battery. Then remove and replace the fuses one by one untill the current drain drops to zero, hopefully there will only be one circuit. This is a similar procedure to what the Maplins meter does. It is an easy but tedious procedure.

If you have a 75Amp/hr battery and it takes a week to go flat, then you have something in the order of 44mA (about 5 watts) draining the battery. Seem supiciously like an interior light.

Griff

Reply to
Griffith

Hi Tim:

I got the same problem here on my 4.6HSE But only after a couple of new wireless networks appeared visible to my PC.

is a great page.

I stopped the problem by removing the remote aerial; but then it meant you almost had to be next to the car to use the key-fob remote.

The official fix from LR is £300 to fix their crap design in the first place :-(

I then got a cheap Maplins solar panel to recharge the battery all the time the sun shines; andf I put the remote aerial back on.

Unless i leave the car for a week all seems OK now.

Regards,

Dan.

Reply to
Danny Clarke

Mark>

Cool - I want one.

For the problem at hand, it's about as much use as the proverbial chocolate teapot. Every time you swap a fuse, you wake the BeCM.

Ask me how long it took me to figure that out.

If something is keeping the BeCM awake you will see a 0.6A drain continuously with an ammeter in series with the battery lead. If it's a weather station, you'll se 0.6A for 2 mins, then 0.005A for 30 seconds, then back to 0.6A - they transmit every 2.5 minutes!

Reply to
AndyC the WB