R380 gearbox - converting from short to long stick

I am in the middle of rebuilding a 90 - was 2.5 petrol, now has a V8 in it. I managed to get hold of a low mileage engine from a 110, an R380 box from a V8-engined Disco II, welded in some engine mounts cut out of a scrap Stage 1 V8, and it all fits together beautifully, except for the gearchange mechanism. Looking through the parts catalogue, it seems I have to replace the selector shaft, the quadrant on the end of the shaft, and one of the selector forks. Then I can fit the 'long-stick' gearchange from a Defender. At the moment the gear lever sticks through the middle of where the seatbox should be.

So - how much dismantling is needed to change a selector shaft? I don't have a workshop manual for the R380, but if it's anything like the LT77 the gear clusters have to come out, needing a whole load of special tools which I don't have. If anyone has any suggestions for (1) a quick and easy way to replace the selector shaft (2) a way to convert the box to long-stick configuration without changing the selector shaft or (3) contact details for someone who will do the job for a sensible price, I will be most grateful.

Many thanks, Richard

Reply to
glencoyne

glencoyne uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Ever looked at a 101 gear selector?

It uses a Rangie box which (in basic terms) has a lever running horizontally and forwards to a fitting on the front of the engine where it fastens to a second gearstick type arrangement. Of course there are a number of bushes and bolts but nowt that couldn't be retro made for your application, say so the horizontal selector came thro the seat box at the bit where it's near verticle, then build a tunnel over it. Hardest bit would be aquiring the bottom end of the slave gearstick for want of a more fitting description.

Now, thats how I'd probably do it, however, someone will pop along in a mo and tell you how to do it properly :-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

The 101 does not use the Range Rover Box - the Range Rover Uses the 101 gearbox.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Sat, 3 Dec 2005 08:34:08 +0000 (UTC), beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

which was developed first? RR development started when, about '68?

I'd have thought it was a concurrent project.

and AFAIK it's a not inconsiderable job to change from short stick à la disco to long stick à la RRC - I looked at doing the opposite swap and decided it wasn't worth it. needs at least a partial gearbox strip, and unless you know the box is VERY good, you might as well change bearings and so forth while you're in there, etc... in my case, it proved a better option to have a recon 'box and a new transfer gear.

'course, I then ended up selling the vehicle. But there again, the new 'box was a good selling point. Wonder how it's faring up there in the North? I forget which bit of north, now... Scotland somewhere. Peeps in scotland can keep an eye out for it :-)

blue metallic V8 disco, HnnnWTS (so it's got back nearer it's orioginal home, probably) with, when I sold it, LR bullbar and spots.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

beamendsltd uttered summat worrerz funny about:

LOL! Excuse mi ignorance... something to do with being aged minus 4 at around the relevant time ;-)

That and a lack of attention to detail ( a landrover trait!)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

It was definately designed for the 101 first. I have a mate who can literally tell you how many rivets a this-or-that should have for the vehicles made in May 19xx - and 99% of the time he can prove it as he has one in a shed. Some of the articles in the comics are quite amusing as we chat with a cuppa on the bonnet of a vehicle that doesn't exist!

Those who have followed LR for the last 30 years or so will know him.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Sat, 3 Dec 2005 11:47:52 -0000, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

while I was in fact born, I wasn't in a position to notice such things as Land Rovers.

I was apparently thrown out of a Land Rover at the tender age of about 6 months, when me mother, through going to sleep at the wheel, drove it into a large ditch.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Must be a trend emerging here.. I fell out the back of a IIa on to my head at the age of about 7. Not moving but parked in a pub carpark in Anglesea if my very vague recollection is right. Spooky!

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

...and Lee_D spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

These two posts explain a lot.

Reply to
Richard Brookman