R380 gearbox oil...?

My mate is just replacing his R380 box in a 300Tdi disco ('94). He's trying to figure out what oil to put in, but gets different replies from different people. He's pretty sure the last box let go because of the wrong oil being put in for most of its life, so wants to get this right!

I tried to look it up, but got many different answers as well - some even suggest it depends on the serial no. of the particular box!

SO....what's the general concensus on here as to which oil to use the in R380?

Cheers,

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

ATF or MT94 both work fine but the latter is a better spec.

Reply to
Marc Draper

Both work fine in the short term but ATF Dexron will shorten its life considerably. Use a MTF [manual transmission fluid] rather than an ATF [automatic trans fluid].

Huw

Reply to
Huw

On or around Wed, 22 Aug 2007 23:52:08 +0100, "Huw" enlightened us thusly:

the local garage tend to use MT75 I think.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I've used Ford spec MT75 in Land Rover gearbox for very many years, possibly since about 1990, and never has a failure. The change is far superior after

6000 miles on a fill than with ATF. The oil has a superior load bearing capacity and stays good for far longer. In my humble opinion LR stayed loyal to ATF Dexron in its LT77 for very many years while there was a proven superior product available in the MT75 oil. The difference between MT75 and MT94 is quite marginal compared with either against AFT. I would use Universal Tractor Transmission Oil before I used ATF in these gearboxes.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

On or around Thu, 23 Aug 2007 23:44:12 +0100, "Huw" enlightened us thusly:

About the only thing I noticed was that in cold weather the shift is a bit heavier on a cold start, but that's only for the first couple of minutes.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

MTF every time. Badger.

Reply to