Radiator cover series 1 disco

Could anyone help us here. We are looking for a radiator cover to go over the front of our Disco (S1). The radiator refuses to get warm enough to be much good and so the thinking is if we can get a cover of some sort it may help to having a warmer truck. Any ideas? I have surfed through countless sites on the web so far and to no avail. Is there anyone out there who has one and could let us know where to obtain one from.

Thanks

Reply to
Brevit

you have checked the thermostat is working ok ?

standard fitment round here ( on SII and SIII Landrovers) was a fertiliser bag behind the grille

Reply to
Denis F

Brevit posted ...

Sounds more like a stuck open thermostat than a radiator problem .. I'd try a new thermostat first or you may just be masking a fault, only for it to bite back when least expected .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Yeah when i was living on the farm it was fertilizer sacks everywhere and for everything ! Stuffed full of hay to make seats,taped up over stuck open windows and over the grills of all the tractors..... They made good sledging great as well (Pity we don't have the snow now for it)

Will have to check the Thermostat might be easiset thing to do.

Reply to
Brevit

Yeah i suppose it is a false economy really , any idea on the price of a thermostat for a disco 1? She (the other half ) has only had the Disco for a fortnight so far and it seems (touch wood) the only thing that does'nt work as well as it should.

Could anyone tell me how long a normal heater in a Disco series 1 take s to warm up please?

Reply to
Brevit

It should be hot within a few minutes - no more than five.

Reply to
Nikki

Mine was under £15 from Camberley Auto Factors, IIRC.

Mine took longer than Nikki's - about 10-15 mins.

David

Reply to
David French

Mine came with a LandRover standard fit radiator cover. I imagine your local dealer should be able to get one for you. It's a solid plastic thing with a cut out for the intercooler. It clips on to the bumper at the bottom then there are three captive screws that secure it to the top if the radiator. It should be removed for hot weather, but I've never had a problem, even in the warmest days of summer.

Even with it on though, it takes a while for the engine to warm up enough to give any warmth through the heater. 5 to 10 minutes is not uncommon.

Alan.

Reply to
Alan Jardine

|| || It should be hot within a few minutes - no more than five. || -- || Nikki ||

I remember those days.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Nikki posted ...

Mine takes about a minute parked on the drive, then a drive for longer than five minutes, maybe 10 altogether to warm up decently. Pity my commute is only 5 miles at the mo' ... It's just getting warm as I arrive ... and it's a real bummer de-icing at 5.30 am only to get in and then out again within

10 minutes ... ;)
Reply to
Paul - xxx

Old age?

Reply to
Nikki

On or around Sun, 28 Dec 2003 14:14:24 -0000, "Brevit" enlightened us thusly:

When you say "refuses to get warm" is that on short journeys or after running for at least 10 minutes?

they're very slow to warm up, (price you pay for an efficient engine, less waste heat) but ours for example while it takes about 10 minutes driving to get warm, does provide ample heat once it *is* warm.

so... unless you've done it, replace yer thermostat.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Nah, middle age. Old age is when you can't even remember any more.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Well the best way to describe it is that after a short run of around 15-20 it gets decently warm and thats ok but then after that if for instance we go up our local duel carrigeway to Wellingborogh then the B****y thing starts to blow cold air back at you!

It's amost annoying thing, unless the thermostat is playing up. The other land rovers we have owned (My dad & Grandad) always used to have fertilizer sacks stuck over the grills to conserve wasted heat so the cussin' things got warm inside when we were working in dark, cold freezing middle of winter going round to the farms and feeding our cattle. The one thing we always looked forward to was getting back in to the "Lannie" and warming our cold bitten hands in front of a series 2 heater!

God they were the days.... Oh and by the way MErry Xmas & happy new year everyone !!!

Reply to
Brevit

I'd definitely put it down as the thermostat stuck open.

David French

My brother used to have piano lessons in Wellingborough.

Bruce says you were lucky. The Land Rover that his Dad had for a short time when he used to work with him on the building sites didn't have a working heater.

Reply to
Nikki

|| ||| It should be hot within a few minutes - no more than five. |||||| -- |||||| Nikki |||||| |||| |||| I remember those days. |||| |||| ||| Old age? || || Nah, middle age. Old age is when you can't even remember any more. || ||

Remember what?

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Who are you people anyway?