Radio Choice

Simple question:

What power of radio should I be looking for, to fit in my L reg 110 CSW Tdi.

Was planning on putting 2 speakers at the back and replacin g the two under the dash with some relatively decent speakers (without going over the top onm expense).

I just want to be able to hear reasionably good quality music!

Steve

Reply to
Steve Nunn

In article , SpamTrapSeeSig writes

I forgot to say: door and sliding window seals in good condition will help here too. Even if you have the windows open in summer, they'll help to reduce transmitted road and engine noise.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Mine's a bit like the request from the guy in the artillary in Good Morning Vietnam - "I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU PLAY - JUST PLAY IT LOUD!" Speakers are in the headlining and work quite well with an old bog-standard radio - music is fine but Radio 4 can be a bit hard to follow!

Reply to
Bob Miller

On or around Sat, 19 Jul 2003 22:31:24 GMT, SpamTrapSeeSig enlightened us thusly:

as much power as you can get :-)

mine's about 4x35W peak I think, which isn't really enough, what with peak power being such a useless figure. bloody car stereos are all quoted as "super 160W max power output" and suchlike. 4x40W peak, in other words, or probably about 20W RMS total, if yer lucky... The amp indoors is 2x30W RMS and is *loads* more powerful.

as to speakers, mine runs the standard front ones 'cos ICBA to change 'em yet, and in addition some not-very-good in the rear headlining panel above the back door, one either side, facing forwards. these provide quite a lot of treble even in the front seats. Overall, sound quality not bad - the standard ones in the front give more bass.

Mind, the one I really dislike is the Disco door-mounted speakers. totally in the wrong place, IMHO. Luckily, it's not my motor.

I suspect that fitting some decent 2-way speakers in the front and a better stereo would improve matters somewhat on the 110. The lack of treble in the front ones is almost certainly down to the lack of tweeters.

might get around to improving it all one day...

Other things to think about are sound deadening on the engine bay and bonnet, and also such places as under the footwells

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In article , Austin Shackles writes

As a guide, if there's no RMS power quoted by the manufacturers, their product probably isn't worth your hard-earned dosh. The values I quoted earlier were for RMS output.

Also, watch out for terms like MOSFET - if used in the output, they are a v.good idea, but I bought a booster amp once (from a "reputable" company) that stretched the Trade Descriptions Act to the limit. It was bought as a 12V outdoor PA for church events, but started behaving very strangely. I got the circuit from the manufacturer. The only MOSFET in the thing was a small one in the power supply. I complained. The next edition of the retailer's catalogue dropped the item and all the similar ones mysteriously had the word MOSFET missing.

Not really. It's mainly location and ambient noise that give the impression of no top. If you put them in the headlining that will improve a bit. Bear in mind however that LW and MW radio stations don't transmit any top to speak of, and VHF is very noisy unless in mono. The average car tape player won't go much above 8kHz. CD is the exception, but, heck, if I want hi-fi, I'll enjoy it properly at home in the lounge...

This'll certainly help.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Thanks for all the info, brings back a lot of phrases I havent heard in long time. I'm not a hi-fi buff, just want to be able to hear the radio without neading it so loud that I cant hear for weeks !

I was thinking about osund proofing the LR. The speaker locations I was goping to keep as being under the dash, and at the rear around the light cluster 9either side of the door) or above the rear windows 9either side of the door, pointing forward).

Thanks for the help

Steve

Steve Nunn wrote:

Reply to