Radio Code

After much searching I cannot find an answer to this problem. My wife left the lights on and eventually the battery died. After getting the battery sorted and a call to LR USA I attempted to put the correct code in one time. After more research and a return to the car I noticed the radio now doesn't even turn on. Checked the fuse but it is still intact. I tried leaving it on for 1 hour but the radio doesn't even turn on to be reset. Keep in mind I only had one chance. I removed the cabels to the battery one more time and nothing changed, radio shows no sign of life. Any thoughts?

Reply to
msmills

On or around 31 Mar 2006 21:36:29 -0800, "msmills" enlightened us thusly:

try putting the radio in the freezer. nothing to lose - it's alleged to work on some of 'em. whether you have to power it up while still frozen I don't know.

Some radios only have limited chances before it locks you out completely, but one go and then dead seems a trifle harsh. It hasn't got a fuse on the radio unit itself, has it? some of them have a fuse in the back of the unit as well as the one in the fuse box - I recall that puzzling me for some time once.

failing that I guess you have to take it to the dealer, who presumably can reset it if that's what's needed. The code will only work, of course, if it's the original radio.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Dead radio?! Could just be a coincidence that your radio has died at the same time - same thing happened to me. As the other poster stated, the code from LR would only work if it was the original radio - I know mine has been changed at least twice!

In the UK there are plenty of car audio shops that you can take the radio to and they will decode it for you to tell you the code. If not, they may be able to advise if it is dead or not!

Matt.

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

Thanks for the input. After holding down the band buttton for a number of seconds the code screen returned. Now I'm confused on how to enter

0 as one of the codes as there is no 0 option. I tried entering 1 and then up with the tuning key but it failed to change the number. This is a 1996 SE RR. Thanks for any help.
Reply to
msmills

There will never be a "0" as one of the numerals for the radio code. You can only enter the code through the numeric keypad and are not able to "cycle" through the numerals.

The radio code has five (5) digits. If you have lost your code you will have to write a letter LR and ask for the code to be mailed to you. You will have to provide proof of owner of the vehicle prior to LR giving out the information.

--Jeff

Reply to
Jeffrey S Austin

Jeff, Thanks for the help. I will contact RRNA

msm

Reply to
msmills

5 digits? must be different in the US. I'm on my 3rd radio and they have only had 4! I do agree though that it will not have a zero in it.

Matt.

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

Matt, It might have to do with the supplier of the radio. The Disco S1 and, I believe, the RRC both have the Pioneer system which would the five digit code.

--Jeff

Reply to
Jeffrey S Austin

I thought I would follow up for anyone else with the same problem. After a couple calls to RRUSA I had the appropriate code. I attempted to reset the code with the screwdriver/hole in the underside of the radio method which only proceeded to short blow the fuse. I then replaced the fuse, and held down the band button for 5 seconds and "code in" displayed on the screen, but ever time I entered the code I the radio would return to 4 bars. On a road trip with the family I realized that we would be in the car for over an hour, so I didn't touch anything, and sure enough, after 1 hour the 4 bars were replaced by code in again, but this time the 4 digits worked. Thanks for the advice for all who helped. The worst advice was from a local RR Jaguar shop who informed me that there was no fuse on the back of the radio. Nice.

Reply to
msmills