Range Rover '88 Many problems!

Now then....Any suggestions that I can try please.

1988 3.5 efi Vogue SE auto.

Dead rev counter...

Lack of torque - I've not had it long and I know it won't pull off like a normal car, but I test drove a 'nail' 3.5 of a similar age while searching to buy and that had oodles of pull uphill in normal gearing (although the rest of it wasn't worth a penny!) - mine doesn't exactly accelerate, it sort of gathers momentum gradually. I can't imagine getting through a mud hole in it! There's bags of noise coming from under the bonnet but I think that is down to the fan. It's solid on the shaft, are they all 'supposed' to be viscous?

I've renewed the dist cap & rotor arm and while doing so noticed the vacuum advance unit loosly hanging by one screw! That's now fixed but was disappointed to feel no noticeable imrovement on the test run.

Can these be related? I assume the fuel etc is regulated by all sorts of readings from the various sensors. Could the dead tacho be giving the wrong signals?

I don't even want to think beyoned electrical problems (eg transmission!)

thanks for any replies

Dave

Reply to
Dave Wheatley

In article , snipped-for-privacy@madaboutcable.com (Dave Wheatley) growled:

IIRC that's driven by a lead off the alternator. Has it fallen off?

Reply to
Paul Oldham

On or around Wed, 06 Aug 2003 12:03:04 +0100, Tim Hobbs enlightened us thusly:

I think it runs off the alternator "W" terminal, same as the diesels do.

worth a check that a) the connection is sound, and b) the alternator isn't on the way out.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I've now checked the wiring from the alternator (as suggested) all the way back to the other end and there's full continuity. Is there any other things I need to look at for ideas? It's going to be an expensive job replaceing parts until I get the right one! I can live without the rev counter as long as it's not upsetting anything else in the ignition system, but if it is pointing to something else that's getting ready to 'pop' then I'd rather try and sort it asap.

Someone suggested distributor may be going and someone else pointed to alternator. From a few basic checks the alternator seems ok - the headlights go dimmer when aircon is switched on but pick back up as the revs increase (even slightly)

Could it even be the TACHO itself??! It does seem rare these days that the 'faulty' item is the actual thing thats broke - usually the broken bit is at the end of 20ft of wiring and 15 sensors!

Dave

Reply to
Dave Wheatley

David, I've got a Range Rover 3.5 5spd of about the same age as yours. I know its summer and bloody hot over there but take the fan off and drive it without to see if it makes any difference. Don't forget that it is a LH thread. Get an open ended spanner onto the nut and give the end a bash to free it. It will then unscrew the wrong way. A seized viscose coupling has will be holding the engine back more than a little, you may even get squealing fan belts. I've run mine for months without its fan in the winter (my coupling had seized) and it made a huge difference. (Finally got around to fitting electric fans) With the hot weather and nice free flowing british traffic I wouldn't recomment driving without it though, as you'll overheat. Replace it with kenlowe electric fans. Regards, Chris M Wellington, New Zealand

Reply to
Chris

I was going to try that- problem is I never thought to try backwards on the nut Doh! After our UK summer finishes it's 2 week run I'll probably be ok for the rest of the year without it!

Reply to
Dave Wheatley

Hello, my -90 RR alternator went bad and it creates few problems.

  1. rev counter dead
2.allmost impossible drive over 60kph, takes just 80kph with very light pedal...
  1. charge light stays lit when engine stopped, during run it was extinguished and volts were about 13,8-13,9v.

So i replace alternator with rebuilded one,and now the car runs fine.

Reply to
RJ