Range Rover - advice before buying please!

Hi

My brother is about to buy his first Range Rover (He has no interne access but wanted help!!). He wants an LPG because of the mileage he doe (50-70 miles a day). He is undecided as to buy the original Range Rover early/mid 90s version - or the late 90s model. Reliability is the mos important thing to him, as it will be his only form of transport. think one of the things he is most worried about regarding the later mode is that a lot of the ones he's seen advertised and in ebay etc seem t have had a new engine at some time, whilst the earlier models seem to b still on their first engine and going strong. Is there a problem with th engines on the later Range Rovers? On the other hand he is worrie (after someone in the pub told him!!!!!) that it was becoming increasingl difficult to service the original Range Rover because getting things lik fuel filters etc are becoming harder. Could someone please give us som pointers about reliability and pros cons etc. We have been on a tes drive in both, and he liked both of them, and appreciated the looks of th later model, and a bit more comfort, but he liked both so would bu either.--

|| Hi, || My brother is about to buy his first Range Rover (He has no internet || access but wanted help!!). He wants an LPG because of the mileage he || does (50-70 miles a day). He is undecided as to buy the original || Range Rover - early/mid 90s version - or the late 90s model. || Reliability is the most important thing to him, as it will be his || only form of transport. I || think one of the things he is most worried about regarding the later || model is that a lot of the ones he's seen advertised and in ebay etc || seem to have had a new engine at some time, whilst the earlier || models seem to be still on their first engine and going strong. Is || there a problem with the engines on the later Range Rovers?

Problems are not common, but they are known to give trouble which can be very expensive to put right. AIUI, the 4.6 is slightly more prone to this than the 4.0. Pressurising/loss of the coolant is the main symptom - google this group for lots of info in the last couple of years. The 3.5 and 3.9 V8s in the earlier Rangies are more-or-less trouble-free if they's been looked after.

||On the || other hand he is worried (after someone in the pub told him!!!!!) || that it was becoming increasingly difficult to service the original || Range Rover because getting things like fuel filters etc are || becoming harder.

Complete bollocks. Parts are widely available and cheap. Check out

who posts here. || Could someone please give us some pointers about || reliability and pros cons etc. We have been on a test drive in both, || and he liked both of them, and appreciated the looks of the later || model, and a bit more comfort, but he liked both so would buy || either.--

Having owned both, I would say that the later RR (P38) is a fantastic vehicle, probably the most capable and comfortable I have ever had. However, the running costs are high, going up to frightening if anything major gives way. I sold mine while I still had the house. The Classic RR is still a lovely vehicle. They still go wrong now and then, but fixing them is easier and much cheaper. If he can afford either, then he needs (IMO) to be looking at a late, mint 3.9 with LPG (or buy one without and convert for 600-800GBP). That's the way I'd go.

If he wants 100% reliable, tell him to go for a Jap saloon. RR ownership is more involving, but it's character you're getting, and it's utterly addictive.

Reply to
Richard Brookman