Range rover auto box fluid level

(Sorry if you've seen this before, need info changed subject heading see if it helps!!!)

Range rover 3.5 early 80' auto

Checked my auto box level today with the engine running and fluid warm, don't seem to have a level? When I check it with the engine off and fluid still warm reads 'Add 1 pint'

When driving it dose seem to take a long time to get into top ( first time I have run it in a year today after a engine transplant)

What are the symptoms of low fluid and am I checking the level correctly with the engine is running?

regards

Wayne

Reply to
wayne

Needs more fluid, yes you've checked it right with the engine runnning. also helps to work through all selections then back to park before checking.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

In message , wayne writes

err ... no level on the dipstick and engine running usually :-(

Reply to
AndyG

The dipstick reads check when cold, car running, in neutral. Chock vehicle. While the engine is running and before going to neutral move the selector to

1 then work your way to N. Check fluid. Add a PINT at a time. It is easy to overfill. Its better to have it slightly underfilled then over filled. Having it overfilled can cause extreme pressures, and will ruin seals and the like.

Reply to
Jack Kerouac

On or around Mon, 17 Nov 2003 21:54:05 GMT, "Jack Kerouac" enlightened us thusly:

that's the instructions for the ZF 4-speeder right enough, and make sure it's cold, not hot. so do it first start of the day. you get silly answers with it hot, I imagine.

dunno if the old 3-speed chrysler is the same. Haynes should tell you the correct procedure, anyway.

Reply to
Austin Shackles