Range Rover Classic air to coil conversion / correct shock absorbers?

I've just had the air suspension on my 94 Range Rover converted to coil springs by my local independent, who used the Britpart kit. The rear shock absorbers also needed renewing, so the garage has replaced them with a pair of Armstrongs, part number STC2831. However, on checking the part numbers, it looks to me as if STC 2831 shocks are for air suspension (which I no longer have) and the correct ones for coil spring suspension are RTC4639. Can anyone tell me the difference between the two types, and whether it matters that STC 2831 have been fitted? On the short journey home the rear suspension felt harder to me than I would have expected, feeling less compliant than the coil sprung TDI Range Rover (same build year, similar mileage) that I often drive.

Reply to
Simon Oates

I feel ambivalent about air-to-coil conversions. I like being able to lower and raise the height for easy entry/exit. I am shopping for a 1999-2002 RR that has recently replaced EAS. Hopefully the new parts will last a while.

Reply to
Figaro

I think that most of us will be unable to tell the performance difference between the various dampers for the same suspension type - it's usually just internal valving changes. As we've mentioned here before, it probably only matters in normal use that they 'work' as opposed to 'don't work'. There is the possibility of more noticeable differences between air and coil suspension dampers: some, e.g. longer extended length, would make no difference.

The stiffer ride is most likely to be the result of the use of new parts compared with the 'old' parts in your comparison vehicle.

Are they similarly loaded? Tyres and pressures identical?

The originally air-sprung one isn't the long wheelbase one is it? That could also affect your perception of a difference in characteristics.

Drive it for a week and you'll have forgotten about it!

Reply to
Dougal