Range rover fuel tanks

My Range Rover's fuel tank (1983 3.5ltr carb) has developed a leak which is helping me get through even more petrol than normal. You could see the fuel dripping out from a bit in the middle of the tank base and it has managed to dissolve the tarmac under the drip in the drive. I have been offered a plastic tank from a 3.5 EFI for an amazingly low price (£0.00) but I can't figure out if it will fit easily or not.

I have been told that all I need to do is whip out the internal pump, extend the pick-up pipe into the tank and bolt it in to the the correct location (with the metal straps?), but I have also heard that there could be problems with the filler neck and getting it to fit the filler cap.

Has anyone had any experience of doing this swap?

The other alternative is to clean up the tank and then use some of the fancy tank sealer stuff you can get from Frost Automotive. Doing this would ensure that things will fit back together okay.

Any pointers would be gratefully received, since, being a canny Scotsman I am extremely reluctant to fork out £115 for a brand new tank if I can avoid it - I'd rather spend the money on toys for the Rangie.

Graeme Aberdeen, Shcotland

PS The vehicle is fitted with a LPG kit so I'm not totally doooomed yet!

Reply to
Graeme Lornie

The plastic tank will not fit your RR without extensive modifications to the chassis.

An idea might be to get rid of the petrol totally and fit an extra 70 litre LPG tank in that place

Or, just swallow the cost and buy a new tank. That should hold for another

10 years. that is only 11.50 pounds per year.

"Graeme Lornie" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk...

Reply to
Erwin

Paddocks are doing new ones for just over £90 plus p & p. I think I'll take the tank off, clean it up and then ponder buying that tank sealer stuff from Frost in Rochdale.

Graeme

The message from "Erwin" contains these words:

Reply to
Graeme Lornie

Getting the old one off may be a bit of a f*cker - there are two captive bolts at the back that are problematic - there was (I think) a post on here some time this year (that's 2003 y'know) telling you just how to go about getting the old tank off - try a Google search or the FAQ as it was a really good description.

In my experience old tanks are not worth the trouble in repairing if you intend to keep the vehicle - getting it off and replacing it seems to stress weak parts other than that you seek to fix and you just end up with another leak within months.

Hope that makes sense - too near Hogmanay for this Scottish export

Graeme (too)

Reply to
Graeme

All sounds fair enough when you think about it, I'll start squirting the WD40 and raking down the back of the sofa for the lost pennies.

Graeme

The message from "Graeme" contains these words:

Reply to
Graeme Lornie