Range Rover Heater

Heater in my Range Rover has started to blow cold.

All eletrickery bits seem to work fine (fan motor runs, but blows cold air).

Water system is full (but does lose about a pint a month, so airlocks a possibility.

AFAICS heater matrix is supplied by a couple of pipes off the back ofthe engine which run through the bulkhead. HBOL shows these as atwo short S shaped pieces.

Mine are a little different as the onlet and outlet unions on the bulkhead are connected to an approximately 12" piece of rubber tube which goes to a steel u-bend which turns the the pipe through 180 degrees. Another 12" ish piece of rubber pipe then connects to the engine block. There are two of these pipe assemblies (presumably in and out). There are 2 jubilees clips on each u-bend to secure the rubber pipes. I'm not convinced this arrangement is very "factory".

Both these pipes feel hot.

My currecnt thinking is possibly an air-lock, so I will try disconnecting the rubber hoses and see if I can bleed any air out. Presumably, if I manage to work out which is the hearter return to the engine, I should be able to disconnectthat hose, turn the engine over and see a steady flow of water returning from the heater matrix?

Is the heater matrix flow only active when the thermostat is open, or should water flow even when the engine is cold?

What does the hot cold lever in the cabine actually do? Does operate a valve which stops the flow of water through the heater matrix. My leve is very free, I can see the lever end of the control cable moving, but has anyone experinced the other end of the cable failing or coming loose from the (presumed) valve so the valve does not open.

Anyone experienced anything similar?

Thanks for reading.

David

Reply to
rads

In message , rads writes

Airlock most likely

That's correct

Throw 'em out! Sounds a good place to have an air lock if nothing else.

As your engine coolant drops rapidly and you get soaked! Only proves flow ... doesn't prove that the matrix isn't 99% blocked.

Permanently active. No valves.

Just an air flap lever.

Is this an early efi or an standard v8? If efi there is a set method of filling specifically to avoid airlocks using the filling 'tower' on the coolant system (just to the left of the block, the sticky-up pipe bit!) rather than filling through the header tank or the radiator. Could just be that the heater matrix is gunged up ... you could try flushing in situ by taking off both pipes and hitting it with a hose but if you make it leak you'll have to rip the heater out anyway ... a flushing agent might work but they can also generate leaks ... you pays your money ... take the airlock route first.

Reply to
AJG

Is early (possibly very early) efi.

Dont think I have a filling "tower". Anyone got a pic. or a full description of what I am looking for?

TIA

David

Reply to
rads

On or around Thu, 28 Jul 2005 08:20:45 GMT, rads enlightened us thusly:

try reversing the flow through the heater. it shouldn't work, but sometimes it does.

Reply to
Austin Shackles