Range Rover P38 door switch

Hmmm, yet another fault on the '98 HSE Rangie. The alarm keeps going off, once a day, when the car gets hot in the sun. Message centre says "Alarm activated, RH front door" and occasionally the air suspension won't go up unless I re-slam the door. Guess the door open/closed switch is failing, BUT it's located inside the door lock mechanism, along with other switches and motors etc, bet it's gonna cost hundreds! Anyone had this fault and cured it?

Alan C

Reply to
cutlea01

Ask snipped-for-privacy@bigpond.com - I think he's been through the same issue

Ron

Reply to
The Becketts

I've had a look at the workshop manual, trawled the net etc, and it seems getting at the lock actuator is not that difficult, once the interior door card is off. Will also give me the oppertunity to sort the rattling speaker while I can get to it. Might be able to open the actuator once it's out and examine the switch, clean it, bend the contacts or whatever. Of course, if required I can replace the unit. Another electrical Rangie bit that's bitten the dust! Why, oh why, can't Land Rover make or sourse electronics that last? The Japanese can. :(

Alan C

Reply to
cutlea01

[...]

How annoying is Google when it places your post 4 times?!!

Anyway, sorted the fault. Noticed in another post, Richard Brookman also has this exact same fault, but on the pasenger side door. The cure was in the lock mechanism. Unfortunately you have to remove it from the vehicle then take it to pieces. The fault was due to a piece of plastic that wasn't quite operating the door ajar microswitch corectly. This needed to be heated and bent slightly, then reassembed, checked, and replaced into the door. Quite a complicated repair, and almost needed watchmakers tools! Otherwise a replacement mechanism is required, £118 +VAT, LR price.

Alan C

Reply to
cutlea01

Is the switch that reports the fault the same as the pin switch that operates the door lights (I thought it was)? In which case, the door is operating perfectly (lock fine, interior light fine). But when the car has been standing in the sun, I turn the key and get the bleeps and "LH door open". I open and shut the door, and no further problem that day. It started in France in June, when it stood for a week in some very hot sunshine, and has been doing it about every other day since. If the "message centre" (ie dash display) takes its information from a different switch, then that may be faulty I suppose. It's in for it's MoT this week, and I'm going to ask them to check it out while it's in.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Yup, it's the same switch, although not actually a "pin switch" like we used to know! I actually witnessed mine at the moment it played up, and the interior lights came on, was just luck I happened to be by the car. The alarm went off, then reset itself. Unlocked the car with the remote, placed key in ignition, bleeps and message "Alarm activated RH front door" was displayed. When the door is closed, all worked fine again (mostly, sometimes needed a good slam to clear the fault "RH front door open") untill the car was again left in the sun. The switch is buried deep within the mechanics of the door lock actuator module, luckily I was able to repair mine, but was very fiddly with loads of tiny bits. Seems that over time parts inside had worn leaving enough slop for the switch not to be operated fully when the door is closed. Guess when the sun warmed everything up the switch operating levers would move just enough to fail. Fiddly job, even to get the actuator out is horrid, let alone back in again!

Alan C

Reply to
cutlea01