Range Rover - what to look for?

So I can join this noble group of Landrover friends, I need a Landy/Range Rover first...

Got an offer for a 1988 Range Rover Vogue 2.4td, from first owner, 88k km, with A/C, central locking, aluminium wheels, elec. windows for EURO 6500,- with (guaranteed) NO RUST on the whole vehicle...

Good deal? What weak points to look for? Anything that I can check over the telephone as vehicle is ~2000km away from where I am?

TIA for any advice

Steffen

Reply to
Steffen Rüter

Read

for anything you really should know about these cars before buying.

Reply to
Martin Tuip

Thank you - already thought nobody was going to answer at all...

Steffen

Reply to
Steffen Rüter

Difficult to value a vehicle without knowing your local market, but if the car was in the UK I think that would be a little expensive, even for a nice oil burner.

Search for "range rover" in the automotive section of

to see what they are selling for over here.

HTH

David

Reply to
rads

Car is in Belgium, I am in Germany... and at the biggest local internet platform you can't get a Range Rover for less, no matter which age or condition. But I get the distinct expression that the market is overvalued here.

Done that. They seem to be cheaper, but then again many have "reserve price not met"... any hint for a "normal" website with cars for sale? I don't mind buying right hand steering... fits better with the horse (Shire Horse)... ;-)

Thanks anyway.

Steffen

Reply to
Steffen Rüter

Try

might ask you for a post code, AL9 7JB is a valid one.

The for sale section on

is also worth a look.

is also worth a look, though less use since they increased the number of days you have to wait before you can view all the item details without paying.

David

Reply to
rads

Thank you - that helped a lot

Reply to
Steffen Rüter

We have a Range Rover 2.5 Turbo D. from your description the Rover you are looking at Sounds like it has the same engine but the earlier smaller 2.4.

They do have a quirk in so much as they tend to blow head gaskets. This in my opinion is due to service routines not beeing followed to the letter , the head bolts are supposed to be retightened at 40,000 miles. I would guess that very few get this done and hence head gaskets can and do fail. Take a look at the piccys, I've rebuilt ours twice, it's blown in two different locations each time so there is no individual weak spot as such.

I also replaces Big end bearings little end bearings and new pistons and rings to overcome some nastey piston slap.

On paper the VM's are better than there replacment 2.5 200 Tdi's however their are few fans of the VM engine.

But in fairness virtually all vehicles have their weak spots, be it V8 Camshafts, Tdi cam belts or Viscous couplings on the Freelander - Of which reminds me ... the our rangie also has one of these which is an excelent bit of kit and removes the need to play/remember to flick on a diff lock.

Regards

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________