RangeRover Consumption in Real Life

I intend to buy a Range Rover 4.0/4.6 around '97-'99. I understand that this cars are "amaizing" on gas, thirsty. I know that official should take arround 16mpg (~15%) on hwy and 12-13mpg (~18-19.6%) in city.

Can you tell me about your experiences?

THANK YOU!

Reply to
danielpintilie

...and snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

RR 4.6 1997

Overall (~12 mile commute plus long journeys, no "city" driving) - 16.4 Worst (Weekend event including a lot of idling and lots of off-road) - 12.2 Best (A-road cruising with CC set to 60, M-way cruise at 70) - 20.3

Based on UK gallons, BTW.

These figures over 22K miles.

HTH

Reply to
Richard Brookman

The message from "Richard Brookman" contains these words:

Absolutly amazing my 93RR vogue SE 3.9 returns 23mpg relentlessly, never go into towns if I can possibly avoid it though, and on long motorway cruise runs has returned over 30mpg.

Reply to
Warwick Barnes

Wish I got that sort of figure from my (now sold) 3.9 Disco. Best I ever got was 18mpg (UK) taking it really easy on a long motorway trip. Usual mileage was more like 11-15mpg!

I'd like to know what you've done to your engine, I don't even get 30mpg out of my diesel P38!

Matt.

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

...and Warwick Barnes spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

I never got near that with my 3.9 - my figures were very similar to the P38's. Perhaps the environment pixies have come in the night and replaced the oily bits with something from a Prius?

Unless it's a manual - were there any?

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around Mon, 9 Jan 2006 21:03:23 +0000 (UTC), Matthew Maddock enlightened us thusly:

I've come to the reluctant conclusion that some people have a lighter right boot than I.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I can only just get 30mpg from my MkIII................

............Diesel.

An average of nearly 27 with a light foot.

In approximately the same conditions my MkI V8 used to average about 18, dropping to 15 on occasions. MkI diesel VM2.4 averaged 26 with dips to 24.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

MKIII

Average 17-18mpg Motorway - 25mpg Mixed driving all day - 20mpg

Can get it as low as *cough* 7....but that's usually corrected after levelling out!

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

Suspect for that consumption it would need amputated at the knee!

Reply to
GbH

...and Austin Shackles spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

The figure of 20.3 cruising was with the cruise control set to 69.5mph. Boots had nothing to do with it!

I still suspect magic.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

...and Neil Brownlee spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

I did see 6.3mpg once on the trip computer, after a particularly nadgery bit of off-road. Tempted to take a photo. I did get better once I was on the road again.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

My old Series III petrol 2.25 used to *average* a disgusting 9mpg which meant it had to be filled every 85 miles or so. Never did get much more than 14 on a run.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

...and Huw spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

I sense a great feeling of injustice here. Like Overfinch fuel bills for Series speed, quietness and comfort.

I used to have a Jawa 350 motorcycle (OK, I was poor) and it did about

30mpg. I always used to resent paying Kawasaki 350 fuel bills, without the attendant speed, style and reliability.

Hell, that was a shit bit of engineering.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I get 10.5 mpg around town- '98 4.0., 113,000 kms, new O2 sensors. Always returns that figure, even if I run it in sport mode, makes no difference at all.

18mpg on the freeway. Amazing indeed. Takes my breath away every time I fill it up.

Reply to
Natalie Drest

My totally standard Series IIa 2.25 petrol SWB will manage 16 mpg on a trip. And about 8 mpg running around in town.

My Series IIa/III mongrel 3.3 Holden powered SWB with 3.9 diffs returns about 20mpg on a trip but I've always been too scared to work out what it does around town.

Reply to
EMB

Almost a CRIMINAL injustice. Best thing I ever did was to change it for the

2.5 diesel 110 Hi-cap which I have still got. Still only manages to average about 18mpg which is indeed still crap for a naturally aspirated 67hp engine by todays standards. The low consumptions are partly due to inefficient old engines but mostly due to the type of work these things do, which is predominantly heavy commercial low mileage work.

I have a Suzuki 300 [actually an Arctic Cat/MF quad] which manages some

25mpg on average. It does a very low annual mileage and 15 forward gears so I have no complaints. I wish it had my Fiat Panda multijet engine though which averages over 65mpg and goes like shit off a shovel.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

On or around Wed, 11 Jan 2006 23:40:56 -0000, "Huw" enlightened us thusly:

Nah, you'll never get it to fit...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 19:26:11 -0000, "Huw" scribbled the following nonsense:

just looked back through my books for my S3, and it used to average

22mpg
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

I don't think mine was worse than any other. It was/is just a result of the type of use they get. My diesel 2.5 never gets near your 22mpg but another which was used more as a car did indeed average about 25mpg at times when I tried. This being a diesel mind you. I cannot really imagine how you could actually average anywhere around 20mpg from a SIII petrol, but there you go.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Complete aside, but I have a 101 owner who insists, and will not be convinced otherwise, that he is getting 18mpg on general around town driving, fully loaded. Better on a long run without too heavy footage.

I have told him his speedo is in Km - he doesn't believe me...

Reply to
Mother