Rangerover Inertial Switch

My Haynes joke book says that there's an inertial switch in the fuel pump electrical circuit (3.5 efi). The fuel pump seems to have suddenly stopped working so I'm wondering if this switch has somehow "gone off" (it could, of course, be that the pump's shagged!). All the wiring/fuses seem intact. Does this switch thing reset itself, can I reset it and if so how, do I have to get another one, are they cheaper than pumps (the efi type tank pump). Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Steve

I forgot .... where is this switch thing anyway?!!

Reply to
Steve

ISTR it's in one of the footwells behind some trim. Just looking through my handbook deosnt mention it now for some odd reason!

I'll have another look.

Nige

Reply to
Nige

my handbook deosnt mention it

It's under the front seat, passenger side I think, there's a button on it, press to reset.

Martin.

Reply to
Oily

It's on the bulkhead, about in the middle - a small cubey thing - it's got a reset button on top if I remember right, but it may have been an indicator.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Accessible from behind the front passenger seat, with the seat slid right forward. Little brown plunger thingy on top, about 3/8" diameter, which will be stuck up if the switch has been triggered. Push down to reset.

Reply to
SimonJ

Excellent, thanks. That'll be why I couldn't find anything on the bulkhead. It's definitely not the pump by the way - I got it running by bridging the fuel pump cut-off relay under the drivers seat. I'm hoping that this inertial doo-dah is what's at fault as at the moment there's no "signal" to the pump relay (the white/green wire on pin 85 of the relay is dead for some reason).

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I forgot to ask - is this doo-dah actually under the front passenger seat or hidden behind the trim on the middle door pillar?

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Remember that the pump won't get a signal unless the engine is cranking/running.

Reply to
EMB

Actually under the seat, towards the back and near to the transmission tunnel, and as Simon says, accessible from the back.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Thanks. I'd thought of that and had the meter on it whilst my audience was cranking the engine. I also tried to sneak up on the cut-out relay by disconnecting the oil pressure sensor to make it think that the oil pressure was up, all to no avail. There's still no signal there even when the engine is running (using my bridge/bodge on the cut-out relay). I'll get at the inertial thingy tomorrow, but it could still also be that something has got chopped or dropped off where I haven't been able to see.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

In that case, its not the inertia switch. The Inertia switch is in the power line to the pump, not the signal wire to the relay.

Reply to
SimonJ

Hmm. Time to ferret around a bit more then to see what's hanging off from where. Why is it that one tiny little wire can cause the whole show to be cancelled and yet mechanically a vehicle can clatter, bang, leak, belch, wobble, grind and gyrate and yet still get you from A to B?

Steve

Reply to
Steve