Rangie Failure of the Day

And today's failure is brought to you courtesy of the auto-dipping rear view mirror.

Noticed earlier in the week that the top of the mirror seemed to have condensation on it, but didn't think anything of it. (P38a 4.6HSE)

But today the "condensation" has spread, so about 2/3 of the mirror (from the top down) is fuzzy. Not too fuzzy to see in, but fuzzier, and brighter, than the bottom third. And it's not condensation, it doesn't wipe off!

Ran my finger along the bottom of the mirror and there is some black gloop sitting there, which I have a sneaking suspicion is liquid crystal stuff from the auto-dipping function. Looks like I've sprung a leak!

Anybody have this happen before? And how many thousands for a new mirror I wonder?

David.

Reply to
David French

Twas Tue, 16 Dec 2003 16:34:23 -0000 when "David French" put finger to keyboard producing:

I think I'd be buying a curved piece of mirror and some sticky pads...

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk

Mr.Nice.

Sounds a good idea, except there's no dip lever on the mirror (because it's auto-dipping), which means you'd have to adjust the mirror manually each time (it's very stiff, may even break the whole thing off!). This isn't really the end of the world but it's a little annoying, that's the point of having an auto-dip mirror!

Reply to
David French

Sounds like time for a manually dipping mirror and a sticky pad?

Reply to
Graeme

Right...plain glass mirror silicone sealed over the top of the cheap affair...

then polish the rear end somewhat like

if that doesn't cause the main beam loons to dip having had reverse dipology performed upon them then deploy that odd sock from the third drawer down over said mirror.

problem solved.

Anyway don't worry about the mirror...whats behind is in the past... you need to be looking to the future.

:-)

My Dad had a LWB 109 amoungst others when we were kids painted in a JLO colour scheme...There was such a high gloss on it that to drive behind with bright lights hurt...one of my lasting memories from multiple trips when moving home and following the landie...

Now then .....have you considered putting a decent engine in there only I've been thinking, you seem to have a lot of space empty in the engine bay.......

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

Reply to
Alistair Matheson

On or around Tue, 16 Dec 2003 17:28:35 -0000, "David French" enlightened us thusly:

get a manual one instead. and if it's one of those that aer stuck to the windscreen, remove the arm from the bit on the windscreen before trying to change the mirror head - I didn't do this once, cost me a windscreen, the load on the arm cracked the glass.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Damn, missed it, but thanks anyway. I may be able to get one off a friend who bought one and found it wouldn't fit in his MR2.

Reply to
David French

Read up on Discoweb.org as you should be able to get a free replacement on Land Rover mirrors with the auto dipping setting.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Tuip

I've had a good search but can't find anything on mirrors - do you have a link?

This is a '96 vehicle, so I'm not entirely optimistic about getting anything free out of Land Rover, but I'll try!

Thanks, David.

Reply to
David French
£110 if i remember correctly but dont hold me to it!

MC.

Reply to
Mark C.

See