Rather worrying braking problem on 1997 Disco TDi

This past weekend I did a bit of a lengthy drive (from Portsmouth in Hampshire, to North Somerset, going via Cheddar Gorge). Everything was fine until I'd almost reached the destination when I braked on reaching a narrow bridge.

Although the brake pedal was the normal action, it suddenly made a noise like I'd got 'gravel' in the brakes or under the pedal and the pedal stopped at about half it's travel movement, with no brakes. Initial panic over (I was only going slowly and there was no traffic) I tried again and all appeared to work normally, with the pedal movement normal and normal braking resumed. I drove on carefully.

A couple of miles later the same thing happened again - sort of crunching noise/sensation through the pedal, pedal movement restricted and loss of brakes.

On reaching the destination I checked all the fluids and visual check of brakes (as much as you can see without removing wheels etc) and everything appeared to be ok. Nothing leaking and fluid levels ok. I did a few emergency stops in the carpark and only managed to reproduce the problem once out of about 5 or six braking experiments.

I left it for the weekend, then gave another visual inspection before driving all the way home again on Sunday (yesterday). Driving home (about 3 hours, averaging 50-60mph) the brakes were fine and there was no repetition of the problem - although I was more aware of it so was driving 'carefully'.

I'm wondering if possibly the long drive down there had heated things up and made a latent problem somewhere more apparent, or possibly the drive through Cheddar/Mendips put more strain on something - although I do always tend to use the gears appropriately for steep inclines so the brakes hadn't had excessive use during the journey.

Does anyone have any ideas where the problem may lie - before I start taking things apart, or book it into a garage for a once over? It's a 1997 Discovery TDi ES.

TIA. cheers, Paul

Reply to
Paul Vigay

In message , Paul Vigay writes

Does it have ABS ?

It sounds as if the ABS if operating in error, that would explain the noise and lost of braking.

If it is that you need to get it checked out.

The only real cost effective cure is to uplug the ECU and remove the warning light. which you did not hear from me lol. That will give you proper trouble free brakes.

Reply to
Marc Draper

'carefully'.

Does it have ABS? Otherwise sounds like the servo sticking, unless you've got a pop bottle rolling about under the pedal. :-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Something in the drivers footwell getting trapped under the pedal? Or misplaced trim snagging?

Intermittent solid pedal and no brakes is a bit odd, unless the ABS system is throwing a wobbly every now and again but I'd expect to have warning lights come up if that was the case.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Check the pads. Garn, you know you should. As "my" mechanic says - go back to basics.

Reply to
jg

First check would be wheels off and check pads/discs for a) pad material left, b) scores/gouges on the braking surfaces, c) pebbles/flints jammed into the calipers.

Then check the calipers work and move correctly and are free of dirt/stones etc.

Then check ABS etc

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Had a slightly similar (in terms of oddness) experience with an Audi Quattro. Garage had replaced both front springs and, rather than trace the loom back to a plug, had removed the ABS sensors from the hubs and not refitted them correctly. The symptoms were: rock hard pedal on braking, accompanied by the car pulling hard left and the off side side rising.

Vehicles!

Reply to
Richard