Re: Arrggh, they're all mad!

In news:, JacobH blithered:

In news:, > JacobH blithered: >> Calmed down a bit now, >> 2 Two! incidents on a 1mile, 2mile round trip. To get Fishnchips! >> >> First, stoopid young girl swinging on a traffic light FCS! jumps off >> and walks across the road right under my wheels, absolutely >> oblivious! Second kind gentleman in RH lane (of 2) at busy junction >> waves taxi across in front of him, oblivious to me and others moving up in the >> LH lane. Thank God I was awake and not in my usual pedal to the >> metal mode. I would have avoided the second but only because we >> would have still been extricating the first's dead body from my grill! >> >> Neither of these seem to have any idea of the danger they caused. >> Roll on Darwin!
Reply to
GbH

Yep. Must be silly season out there. Yesterday a Volvo pulled out in front of me without looking and then STOPPED right across my bows ffs. I rolled up to withing an inch of the drivers door and then let her have it full blast with the hooter. She nearly hit the roof. I know the roads are quiet around here but God only knows what she was doing. Looking at the scenery or doing her hair. She pulled away pretty smartly after so I don't think she had a problem, but even if she had, wouldn't it be sensible to look round to see if anything was coming first?

Then tonight, on a difficult unlit road I'm approaching a humpback bridge fairly slowly in the dark on main beams. A BMW who must have been hidden behind the hump came over the top on dipped lights only. Firstly the dipped lights toatlly dazzled me as he was pointing up and second, surely he could have seen my 200 watts of mains and driving lamps coming and waited? Or flashed me to let me know he was there? Dunno how we missed each other but I guess he wasn't dazzled as my beams were aiming at Mars.

Rant done ta.

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

...and TonyB spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

He would probably only have seen you if he got out and looked. "Hang on (waits for eyes to get dark-adjusted), there's a brown glow the other side of the bridge - must be a Land Rover."

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I did a run to scotland and back last week, from cornwall to aberdeen and back, all the way there and back we were in the worst rain I have driven in for years, really hammering it down, only saw one accident, a volvo estate had spun on the M6 somewhere in cumbria, no real damage it appeared.

Yesterday I got back from crawley, 3 crashes, someone had gone off the road down the bank, another was a multiple bump bump bump or 5 cars, and another had a car on it's side after going up the beginning of a crash barrier. clear weather, no rain to speak of, pretty much dry roads.

makes no sense to me.

-- Mark.

"nec aspera terrent"

................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at

MVP

...and MVP spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

No surprises there. I read something a while ago about the number of accidents at different times of day/season. It seems that the fewest accidents happen on rainy winter mornings, and the most on balmy summer evenings. Apparently the reverse of what you would expect. It's obviously the "percieved risk" thing again - when conditions look atrocious, people take more care and don't have accidents. When things seem fine, we drive faster and with less attention, and have more crashes. There's probably an alcohol element in the second one as well.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around Sat, 05 Nov 2005 14:38:31 +0000, MVP enlightened us thusly:

it's tipping down here at the moment. fork-arsed says it'll rain heavy early tomorrow morning, dunno if this is such arriving early or just a different lot.

there are times when I'm glad I'm currently running diesels.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Mon, 07 Nov 2005 23:00:31 +0000, Austin Shackles enlightened us thusly:

Turned out to be another lot, or more of the same. It's still pissing down this morning.

Hmmmm. wonder what odds I can get on the likelihood of hosepipe bans next year?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

We had some serious wind overnight, and it was nothing to do with the curry I'd eaten! No real rain on the "Costa-del-Moray", however.

2 to 1 on??
Reply to
Badger