Re: Back!

> "Austin Shackles" wrote in > message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com... >> >> I've thought about that but I'm not convinced there's anywhere that's >> get-into-able and better. >> >> Wonder if they want Landrover fettlers and school taxis drivers in Fiji, >> for >> example. > > I really like the look of NZ

You can go anywhere in the EC area, I'm told that some of the more remote bits of Eastern Europe need people who can fettle modern small scale agricultural machinery, but those days are dying.

Just about everywhere else you need skills people want, and nobody wants utility vehicle mechanics, every army in the world produces loads of them...

India may be a place you can go to with your skills as Tata now own Land Rover and will almost certainly be flogging them there 'real soon now', except that India doesn't accept anyone but people who had at least one grandparent born there, or has a 'director' level job to go to, or is a trainer of some kind.

Mind you, about 30,000 to 40,000 Brits go there every winter and work illegally in the holiday business in Goa and Kerala and nobody bothers them much, well, except for the one or two a month who end up dead in drug deals gone bad...

Reply to
William Black

On or around Thu, 7 Aug 2008 15:29:02 +0100, "William Black" enlightened us thusly:

see, I knew that rang a bell. was hunting it down on youtube (the original) after a mention in ye shedde.

Where's that version from?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Fiji's political instability kills that idea dead. Every time the shit hits the fan there it's time for foreigners to escape - though they aren't targetted specifically they always seeem to end up the losers. It's a pity really as it's not a bad place otherwise.

Working for

in the Cook Islands might meet your requirements for fettling and taxiing though.

Reply to
EMB

As always, any of the regulars here who want to visit NZ are more than welcome to stay with us.

Reply to
EMB

On or around Fri, 08 Aug 2008 23:07:10 +1200, EMB enlightened us thusly:

Yep, that looks about right :-)

I honestly like the school taxi work. But it's getting ever harder to do (and more particularly, earn money at) in this country. I'm not ready to quit just yet though...

My ideal would be some out of the way spot in a suitably laid-back place (Islands seem to fit the bill there - must be something that relates to land area) where I can run a school bus and also have a workshop fettling old motors for people.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Rural NZ would suit you. There's still plenty of places where you'd be able to do a school run and open a workshop. You'd probably also have a fair chance at getting a serious financial backer for building cycle type things here too.

Reply to
EMB