Re: Coolant leak not o rings!!!!

aarrgh, found another, more serious looking leak at the front of the

> engine. It's running down the fron RH (as you look at the engine) side & > dripping onto the steering rods. It could be from the water pump, but it > doesnt look like it. Any ideas for what it could be? > > Ta

"O" ring seal on steel heater pipe going into the upper right hand side of the inlet manifold, or pipe going down front right of engine to back of pump?? Water pump gasket?? I find it easier to trace these sort of leaks using a small mirror on a stick and a torch, if that's any help. FWIW, once remedied I add a tub of Barr's leak-seal to every vehicle I've ever owned, it's one of the few sealant types that remains active in suspension in the fluid and won't clog up waterways or radiators. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Despite what other people have told me about radiator additives I knew there was a reason Saab specify Barrs be kept in the cooling system permanently...

Reply to
Danny

Hehehe, yes, that dates back to their days with the triumph-originated slant

4 engine. Now, speaking (cynically) as the owner of a stag (2 slant 4's on a common crank, essentially), I wonder why it would require barrs in the cooling system! Badger.

P.S. Jaguar used to specify the same product in the mid 70's.

Reply to
Badger

I had a Saab 9000CDE (which I loved), and I think the manual still mentioned Barrs.

So you didn't prefer the V8 conversion for stags? - I disliked the original engines, although a friend had a dolomite sprint that was a good drive...

Reply to
Danny