Re: Greece Ball Rally 07 recap!!

Nige uttered summat worrerz funny about:

LOL, there's far too many posts to trawls through on the other > thread. Can someone give a simple overview of available options & > who's likely to go etc? > As I mention I cant go at Easter as I'm in Dubai the week before. > > Nige

In a nut shell, Overland trip to Greece Landrover Stylie, Anything goes - Freelanders to 101's , Tents ,Caravans & Campers. France, Switzerland, Venice then Ferry to Greece

1st Question: Who would be up for Easter ,2weeks Who would prefer 2nd Half of Summer ol's , 2-3 Weeks

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

In news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, Lee_D waffled on in a semi-interesting fashion, it went something like this;

I've done overland to Greece in a Range Rover, but I did it in three days, two of which were mainly spent on ferries. I'd do it again if it wasn't so bloody expensive.

7 tanks of fuel between Rotterdam and Ancona is not good when you do it in a day.

I'd still heartily recommend it though, just don't drag an overloaded trailer all the way and then wonder why the electronic ignition module on the dizzy goes on the fritz after a morning sitting in the Italian sun.

Reply to
Pete M

someone give a simple overview

Overland drive. To Grease. (adj). Not a crossword clue.

Reply to
Mother

If we were to tag along it would have to be 2nd half of summer hols, if only to save up the cash for diesel!

Has anyone got any ideas as to mileage and ferry cost?

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

Dave R uttered summat worrerz funny about:

I've run some figures but they are date dependant socan alter, Dover Calais , around £150 then Venice Patras 492 Euros Caravan and car camping on the deck as opposed to cabin ( 4 people) . Both are return prices then theres is obciously the fuel. Assuming I've understood the site correctly.

839 (Calais to Venice) miles one way from ferry terminal to ferry terminal then chugging along on ta ferry then what ever milage we do across Greece.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Pretty well what I reckoned too.

Can't see us driving as far within Greece. Don't want to go to Athens either.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Lee_D uttered summat worrerz funny about:

.... thers more

Assuming 28 - 30 mpg fuel at .98 litre £125 for the trip across France, Switzreland and Italy so you need to add the UK bit and Greece (who knows!) but I would say double the above (for return) then double it again and it will be not far off the mark so ball park £500 but this is DIESEL.... LPG and Petrol would obviously be a different calc.

If we do the later half of the summer I can do around 3 weeks which would mean an opportunity to sight see Switzerland and Venice on route for a day or two (inc return). Would be otter though so suncream essential.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

.....then Venice Patras 492 Euros ........

Quite pricey, we might wait for you in Venice and use the money to drive up through Switzerland on the way back. I've got some friends in Geneva who could look after us all!

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

Dave R uttered summat worrerz funny about:

I staging post/base camp... I like it! Good plan.

:-)

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

3 weeks!!! No chance for us!! 2 would be good enough!

--

Subaru WRX Range Rover 4.6 HSE (The Tank!)

We might be going on a summer holiday, the Greece Ball rally!!!!

Reply to
Nige

Steve Lizzy I know on the last thread I think Lizzy expressed a preference for Easter but what do you reckon to the Summer 'ols. 2 weeks towards the end would do fine. Would make it less stressed and rushed to get off / packed for most of us I reckon.

T'also gives you some contingency time for the Ambi and running is time too whaddayay think? May be hotter but I'm sure Martyn may be able to show you a 'ickle trick he has up his sleeve for toasty 101's.

If we aim for being back before Sept 07 then we'd be sure to get in as many peeps as poss ref the school holidays due to slightly differing restart times in Sept.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Well, I'll have to do the air-con as well then, so the extra time will be nice. Me and Tom might be getting together on wiring looms, which will shorten time a bit. Its going to be 'ot too.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Steve uttered summat worrerz funny about:

YHM.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Just outside Geneva actually, a friend of mine has got a house out there which is rented out but will be empty that time of year and there's plenty of space to park 101's and caravans nearby for nowt. I lived there for a little while so know the area well. Certainly an area i'd like to visit again

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

What are we going to do when we get there, or is the journey to be the reward ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve

On or around Fri, 19 May 2006 20:05:51 +0100, Steve enlightened us thusly:

remember that Malvern is at the end of the summer hols. I could quite fancy the greece thing, but I doubt I'll be able to afford it unless I get Edward II runnign on LPG.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Fri, 19 May 2006 18:39:22 +0100, "Nige" enlightened us thusly:

well enough & I'm not able to

travelling steadily I reckon Edward II gets almost 20 to the gallon, but there are a heck of a lot of 20s between here and Greece.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Fri, 19 May 2006 18:43:56 +0100, "Nige" enlightened us thusly:

2 sounds good. 's like the thing I want to do, hire a canal boat and do the leeds-liverpool. You *could* do it in a week, but it becomes rather more of a challenge than a holiday. 3 weeks off is likeky to result in more hassle from other sources for most of us, though.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sat, 20 May 2006 00:14:50 +0100, Steve enlightened us thusly:

I think The Journey is the thing, on this kind of stuff. Trick is to get the overall pace right so that you can spend half a day here and there looking at things that look interesting.

I'd love to do overland to India, one day, but I gather it's not very easy these days, compared with the 60s.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I'm up for the trip - but have no chance of the easter hols. I have always worked over atleast 1 week of them.

Summer hols are possible - but since i've not managed to attend any of the unnofficial stuff yet then my attendance record aint very good!

next summer however is a long way off and the ambi has to be ready by then. TBH, if i dont have it ready by the end of this summer i shall have to do some restructuring and it will definately be ready by the year after!

Reply to
Tom Woods