Re: Greece Ball Rally 07 recap!!

I reckon sommething similar with a caravan on the back, maybe a bit less!!!

Nige

--

Subaru WRX Range Rover 4.6 HSE (The Tank!)

We might be going on a summer holiday, the Greece Ball rally!!!!

Reply to
Nige

I live about half a mile from the Leeds Liverpool canal (Thackley on the map) & said ther same thing. I spent a lot of my youth knocking about & around the canal & river. Great place & it takes you to & through some great places.

Superb for bike riding & just taking it easy.

Nige

--

Subaru WRX Range Rover 4.6 HSE (The Tank!)

We might be going on a summer holiday, the Greece Ball rally!!!!

Reply to
Nige

||| travelling steadily I reckon Edward II gets almost 20 to the ||| gallon, but there are a heck of a lot of 20s between here and ||| Greece. || || || I reckon sommething similar with a caravan on the back, maybe a bit || less!!!

Sorry, Nige, but my figures were 16-17mpg normal driving, 14 max with the caravan behind. That's with a steady 300-mile motorway run. Short runs, hilly country - 11/12-ish.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Yikes!!!

--

Subaru WRX Range Rover 4.6 HSE (The Tank!)

We might be going on a summer holiday, the Greece Ball rally!!!!

Reply to
Nige

|| Richard Brookman wrote: ||| Nige wrote: ||| |||||| travelling steadily I reckon Edward II gets almost 20 to the |||||| gallon, but there are a heck of a lot of 20s between here and |||||| Greece. ||||| ||||| ||||| I reckon sommething similar with a caravan on the back, maybe a ||||| bit less!!! ||| ||| Sorry, Nige, but my figures were 16-17mpg normal driving, 14 max ||| with the caravan behind. That's with a steady 300-mile motorway ||| run. Short runs, hilly country - 11/12-ish. || || || Yikes!!!

If that's a shock, Nige, what are you getting in normal day-to-day running - or haven't you dared calculate that yet? If you get better than 17, you must be driving in bare feet or something.

Without towing, best ever was about 22, on a long motorway run at 60-ish, CC doing all the work. I did see 6.3 after a short off-road section! The

14mpg was over about 1000 miles on holiday in France, keeping to legal limits.

To be honest, I was happy with that. The 4.6 tows so well the extra money was worth it. I've never believed people who say that their vehicle is so good they never know the trailer/caravan is there - you know it's there all right as acceleration is affected considerably, even with that engine. But the ability to pull from 60 to 80 for a short while to clear a load of French trucks and get some clear road is well worth the odd extra stop for "essence".

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I get above 15 even round town, a run to say Norwich at a steady 60 will get

23-24 without a bother. I don't drive it hard, I have a 230BHP Subaru for that!! Even then, i must be getting old as that never breaks sweat now!!

I get it back on Tuesday too!!! All fettled & ready for action! Got tons of little bits to do, like new air springs etc!!

Nige

--

Subaru WRX Range Rover 4.6 HSE (The Tank!)

We might be going on a summer holiday, the Greece Ball rally!!!!

Reply to
Nige

Austin Shackles uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Right then, 2 weeks it is...

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Austin Shackles uttered summat worrerz funny about:

For me the trip is probably the Buzz.... also having so many green ovals thundering down the Autoroute. Sun would be a bonus... any thing else is luxury.

Would be rude not to seek out some scenic drives / mild laning given we all want to drive back too. Any other suggestions... Beer BBQ's Chillin and of course having gone all that way soaking up the Culture.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Sat, 20 May 2006 22:33:21 +0100, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

I guess hauling the trailer and BBQ apparatus and about half a ton of charcoal would be a possibility.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I am having fun experimenting with the fancy stoves mentioned by AJH a couple of weeks back - might not need to bring charcoal, we can use motorway fenceposts :-))

Steve

Reply to
steve

If we go to, or via the Swiss mountains, or in fact any european mountain areas, they are brilliant to visit in the summer as most of the areas are set up for skiiing in the winter so in the summer the people in these reigons crying out for trade and really look after you, plus everything's about a third of the price and there's loads of room and even the hotels are cheap if you fancy a break from the caravan or tent.

I love Switzerland even if I did get fined once for having a "fight" with a friend of mine in the middle of Geneva. They're a bit anal but there's never any trouble and they know how to look after you despite being such close neighbours with the French

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

Dave R uttered summat worrerz funny about:

I really really really NEED to visit Switzerland and would like to stop there to soak up some culture, I've even toyed with a winter holiday with the Caravan but got put off once I viewed a few caravans up to there windows in snow.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

|| Dave R uttered summat worrerz funny about: ||| If we go to, or via the Swiss mountains || || || || I really really really NEED to visit Switzerland and would like to || stop there to soak up some culture, I've even toyed with a winter || holiday with the Caravan but got put off once I viewed a few || caravans up to there windows in snow. || || Lee

Switzerland has scenery, not culture :-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

What about in its cheeses - Emmenthal must have culture to get the bubbles.

Lizzy

Reply to
Lizzy Taylor

|| Richard Brookman wrote: || ||| ||| Switzerland has scenery, not culture :-) || || What about in its cheeses - Emmenthal must have culture to get the || bubbles. || || Lizzy

Well, yes, that sort of culture :-)

For the usual kind, well: Roger Federer, Carl Jung, Rousseau, Zwingli, and ...

A tennis player, two philosophers and a Protestant theologian. Not many novelists, poets, composers, artists, sculptors, dramatists. No Swiss Oscar Wilde or Beethoven. But Switzerland does give good mountain and brilliant chocolate. This year's trip to Italy will include a whizz through Switzerland just for the alpine meadows, while trying to avoid the 40 quid vignette for use of the motorways.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around Mon, 22 May 2006 20:42:11 +0100, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

wot about tunnel? does it give good tunnel?

Mind, you need the right motor and the right exhaust. nice loud pipes on a V8, slow down to about 30, drop to second and floor it...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

||| A tennis player, two philosophers and a Protestant theologian. Not ||| many novelists, poets, composers, artists, sculptors, dramatists. ||| No Swiss Oscar Wilde or Beethoven. But Switzerland does give good ||| mountain and brilliant chocolate. || || wot about tunnel? does it give good tunnel?

Aye it does that an' all.

|| Mind, you need the right motor and the right exhaust. nice loud || pipes on a V8, slow down to about 30, drop to second and floor it...

Hmm. With a standard Td5 auto and a tonne and a half block of flats on the back, I doubt if it will be all that thrilling.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

A Wealthy Dutch businessmaan once surprised his wife with a short weekend break to Switzerland. When they got back he asked her what she thought. Her reply was simply "Well it's very nice, but all of those mountains get in the way of the view".

(This is true, by the way. Ask any Dutch nutter!) :-)

Reply to
Mother

Them little birds in the clocks are only heads.

So they give good hea... [THUD]

Reply to
Mother