Re: In a LR dealer today - disgusting service

True, I've never met a poor farmer yet ! :-))

Reply to
Hirsty's

That's why we complain about the European Agricultural Policy - plenty of poor farmers round here! JD

Reply to
JD

Don't worry only leg pulling. I very much appreciate the mire many are in. Most of my friends in Somerset in my youth were farmers kids. I take it you're in Oz; I was there in the early '80's and in the remote bits it was just as hard, you have all my sympathy. Seems many politicians here have forgotten their real friends !!

Reply to
Hirsty's

On or around Tue, 26 Oct 2004 05:56:09 +1000, JD enlightened us thusly:

FWIW, I don't think the farmers get the sort of easy ride they did at one time get. It used to be the case for example that you did quite well out of just the subsidy on the sheep, and then sold the lamb and fleece for good money as well.

now, the subsidy is much lower, even without considering the effect of inflation, the lamb prices crashed a year or 3 back with the moot and fouth outbreak, but have recovered now, I gather, although in real terms they're a lot lower than say 20 years ago, and the wool price apparently is such that it only just pays for the shearing.

having said all that, I see quite a few new vehicles around the place this year... and even if they're on HP, they still have to make the payments. Now I know they use the vehicles hard (lots of heavy towing etc) and thus they wear out more quickly, but not everyone keeps replacing 'em...

Reply to
Austin Shackles