Re: King/Queen for a day?

Which made me think... If you were Minister of Transport for one day, what

>single law or regulation would you enact (or indeed abolish)? Rules are - >it must be: > >1. Achieveable and realistic >2. Related to transport issues >3. Preferably, make the rest of us go "Oh, YES!" > > >Over to you...

No fuel tax for V8's....

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

All injuries resulting from rear-ending a Series Land Rover to be classed as self-inflicted.

Reply to
David G. Bell

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Tim Hobbs at snipped-for-privacy@101ambulance-urine.net wrote on 12/1/04 8:47 pm:

Couldn't agree more.

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

On or around Mon, 12 Jan 2004 20:47:18 +0000, Tim Hobbs enlightened us thusly:

nice, but not really much help, except to a minority.

I rather think I'd go for a commitment to spend at least 50% of the road-generated revenue (road fund duty and fuel duty) on transport issues, allied to a program to study the situation so that transport spending was on something useful (see below).

It's ridiculous, really, that if I want to get to London it's cheaper and easier for me to go by car. I'm not even so awkward as to want to go somewhere out-of the way...

Recently, they gave out money for rural bus services. we now, in this area, have almost-empty buses going from town to town at times that no-one needs them, and it would still be impossible for me, for example, if I were working in the local town 8 miles away, to get to work or back home by bus. This is because they simply handed out money, without making (AFAICS) any attempt to provide a service that anyone would or could actually use.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

OK, on a more serious note....

I'd like a three-tier driving test. At the age of 17 you can take the basic test, which is theory plus driving test similar to the one now. This gives you the right to drive a 1 litre car with four seats, excluding motorways (as there is no motorway training in the current test). You have to display a 'P' plate or similar in the car whilst driving.

At the age of 21 you are able to take the Phase 2 and Phase 3 tests.

Phase 2 test includes motorway tuition, basic bad weather driving techniques and a more stringent theory test. This test allows you to drive a car up to 130 bhp and to use motorways.

Phase 3 test includes skid control, more advanced bad weather driving, including skid pan and basic motor vehicle maintenance. This allows you to drive any vehicle.

Phase 3 test would be valid for 10 years and require a refresh course to renew. A serious motoring offence should immediately revoke the Phase 3 entitlement.

The insurance companies should be forced / incentivised to offer premiums commensurate with driving skills - i.e. cheaper for Phase 3 drivers.

To implement it, all existing licences should be reissued as Phase 2. The Phase 3 test should become mandatory 5 years later to allow time for existing drivers to convert, should they wish to do so.

Back on a more frivolous note, I'd like to see fuel duty reduced by

25% and that money recovered by a special tax on furry dice, big spoilers and those metal fuel cap covers. It should be called NAT - Nobhead Added Tax. They've clearly got money to waste so lets have some of it in the treasury.
Reply to
Tim Hobbs