Re: Legality of no bumpers?

Hello, Larry!

  1. A Discovery without a front bumper has lots of sharp edges....which ISTR is an MOT failure, therefore, by default, is *not* legal (IMHO)
  2. That's where the number plate lives ... and we all know that sticking it in the window is *not* legal too....
Reply to
Neffalump

Just because a vehicle fails the MOT on a certain point does not mean that certain point failure is illegal IYSWIM Also, just because a vehicle passes an MOT, it does not mean there are no illegalities on that vehicle.

Reply to
Colonel Tupperware

Only an MOT failure if the sharp adges are created by corrosion or damaged panels, sharp edges exposed by removing a bumper aren't a fail.

It must be clearly displayed, if it is clearly displayed behind the window, then it is legal. (You must have seen buses which have their numberplates behind glass panels, or in the back window)

Reply to
SimonJ

But may invalidate the type approval for the vehicle. Bit like a 7 seat Disco II *must* have air suspension to be legal.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On or around Wed, 22 Jun 2005 09:38:16 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice" enlightened us thusly:

buggered if I see why, though. apart from 'cos it was designed like that.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

If removal of the bumper does violate the type approval then the chances are your insurance is null and void as well. Unless you tell 'em but I doubt many companies could handle or accept such information anyway with or without the type approval being affected.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

My number plate lives on the radiator grille, held there with wire, and it passed the last MOT that way.

I suppose if you taped up the sharp edges it would be legal enough,

Reply to
Larry

yeah . as it happens i have,

a guy sat three seats away from me had one.and kept banging into people when it got to his stop........

andy

Reply to
andy