Re: Lots of questions about roofracks...

SECOND QUESTION...

>It's blooming noisy at speed (which I expected), but at 55-60 the >whole interior of the car vibrates in sympathy! Would putting a >plywood floor on the rack improve matters or worsen them? I'm >guessing that if I bolted it down well it would damp down vibrations >in the rack itself?

Better by far to use slats I reckon. Having a sheet will act as a wing :-)

A ply sheet also adds to the weight - in the place you don't need it...

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

I tried to get the plastic off a set of nudge bars once. A thoroughly disheartening exercise. I suppose that you could burn it off?

Regarding paint; I use Bonda Primer on any ferrous metal exposed to the elements that I only want to paint once. If you have not encountered it, it is a red oxide primer that actually works, unlike the stuff from the sheds. AFAICR it's full of resins and other stuff that makes it very hard and anti-rust chemicals that mean you can use it on rust metal without worrying about it flaking off. Top stuff and, no, I don't work for them!

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

Richard, Tim and fellow members Hi,

I have succesfuly removed the Rislan covering from a Camel Trophy bullbar about two years ago.

The procedure required a lot of effort but was done much easier by using a hot air gun and at some tricky parts a butane torch. The trick is NOT to burn the material but just heat it enough so that it gets elastic. You then use a sharp knife, cut the elastic/heated rislan along its length and followig that you remove it first from one side and tear it away up until the Rislan which is not elastic breaks.

After removing the Rislan covering I opted on hot galvanizing the bullbar but this required the drilling of a few holes on non visible parts of the thick tubing. Afterwards I polished the rough galvanized surface (that also required a lot of sweat and effort) and then powdercoated it.

On places were the powdercoating has been damaged during the two years that the bullbar is now mounted again on the car I just apply a few drops of black bumper paint (which is somewhat elastic) to the areas where the powdercoating has flaked away. This does not allow the flaking to continue. Same results can be achieved by using the elastic paint used for insulating metallic tool handles and for other uses.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Fantastic chaps. I tripped over the blowtorch and thought - "aah, yes". It burns the Rilsan to a powder slag that easily sands off. I've hammerited them for now, but I'll be looking up a mate tomorrow who apparently knows someone who does powder coating!

Richard - you've reminded me that I have a very tatty bullbar awaiting restoration.... At least I now know how.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Yep - burning it of is the only way I found to shift plastic/epoxy based coverings. It stinks, is probably highly toxic and can gloop all over the place.....trial and error lead me to this method with a table that had been used for gluing rubber escalator bands together.

Best of luck JonW "When in danger, when in doubt Run in circles, scream and shout" RotR, Rule 8.g (amended)

Reply to
pl.white

Be careful with Disco's and roof racks - the maximum rated loads on a Disco are 75kg on road, 50kg of road INCLUDING the weight of the rack. I was looking at roof racks a couple of years ago, and spoke to suppliers that they could get more - up to 200kg.

There are two things to do to get this - firstly, the rack should ideally sit on a bar that spreads the weight of the rack along the whole length of the gutter. Secondly, load with care - the comment I got was "if you put to much weight on the rear, the rear door won't close"! So to a certain extent, put the heavier stuff towards the front.

I bought a trailer instead! Graham Carter

Reply to
Graham Carter

mm, except for really light stuff like a swag or tent or skies or something, i reckon roof-racks are pretty cumbersome things. i also reckon your probably better off with a trailer. but they are a fair bit more work i suppose.

Reply to
samuel mcgregor

and a complete PITA when the dogs want a break during a long journey and you have to unhook the trailer to let them out...

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Get a trailer to put the dogs in.

Nikki

What a fantastic company. When I get my new Range Rover (sometime in

2010) I think a combined dog cage and burr walnut drinks cabinet will be a must have!!

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

I've got the answer to that - got 4 cats who stay at home while we're in the bush!

Graham

Reply to
Graham Carter

I thought about one for the kids.

Reply to
Nikki

is that a cat or a trailer? a trailer for the kids, that would sell well.

Reply to
samuel mcgregor

Now, knowing you're in Africa - this 'cats' idea holds promise as a burglar deterrent... "Bewear of the Lion / Tiger" plate on the gate?

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Trailer for the kids.