Re: One Shot Greese - How much in & How???

Jon,

Yes, warming the grease is a good idea, also turning the steering to full lock will make it easier to get the stuff in.

Good luck.

Pieter

Hi all, > > Decided it was time to drain the bit of remaining oil from the swivels > last night and replace with new one shot. > > Firstly i did about 10 miles to try and get the stuff warm and runny, > back into the garage and out with the filler plug and drain plug. > > drip, drip, drip... > > half an hour later and i had about 3 egg cup fulls in a collecting > bowl. > > another half hour later and i had about half of the one shot greese in > and it appeared to be full. > > Fed up with air locks when feeding from the top hole, i removed the > drain hole and force fed upwards from the drain plug (which seemed > more effective) until it came out of the "filler" (top) hole. > > the point being i can only seem to get half of the greese into a > swivel, i thought the whole point was that the Land Rover package was > such that ALL the greese should be taken up by the swivel, not half of > it! > > > So, how do i get the remaining half in?? > > Should i immerse the grease "bag" in nearly boiling water to thin it > down before "pouring" it in or will this destroy the grease > properties? > > Any pointers welcomed. > > Thanks. > Jon >
Reply to
pieter

i heated the pouch up and removed the square filler on the back side of the housing and just squeezed it in.

why are you using one shot?

if your seals are good and your chrome is still unpitted then id use the oil as is meant to be in it but if it leaks then thats one shot time.

i mixed my one shot with a little oil.

andy

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Andy

Both swivels are pitted so thought as they where leaking one shot was the way to go.

i'll try heating it through to see if that makes life easier.

The Worlds Uncensored News Source >

Reply to
Jon K

On or around Wed, 30 Jul 2003 08:05:46 +0100, Jon K enlightened us thusly:

what vehicle?

easier to get the grease in with the steering at full lock

I put 'em in hand-hot water for a while, this helps.

also try turning the wheel, see if it distributes the grease a bit. you could try driving for a bit, then taking the filler plug out again and seeing if there's more space.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hi,

I did it this weekend. Poured a pasta pan full of boiling water into a bucket and dropped the two oneshot grease packets in.

Left them for 15 mins, put the wheel on full right lock having drained the remaining oil and slowly rolled the packet from the end with one hand while holding the cut nozzel in the hole that has the square plug with the other hand.

Piece of p*ss for me. I have heard many a nightmare with this though.

I doubt the boiling water would have ruined the grease properties. It must be designed to cope with quite a lot of heat from brakes, whirring bearings etc.

This was on a 300tdi defender.

Wait a mo, just had a thought, is one packet enough for one swivel or should I have topped up till it overflowed. Oh bugger, now you've got me thinking....

Guy

Reply to
Guy Lux

One pack per swivel, dude.

Peter 'Back to the drawing board' R.

Reply to
Peter R.

Groovy..............

Guy

Reply to
Guy Lux

its a 200Tdi 90.

i did have the wheel is in full lock and also moved the wheels about after a bit of grease went in. once it overflowed i put the bung back in and (with front axle jacked up) left the motor in 1st for about 10 mins, switched off and did this again a couple of times.

got me thinking though... How long should it take for the old stuff to completely drain (on a warmish evening having done about 10 miles to try and warm the stuff through). i left it draining for a good while (about half an hour) and at the end of this time the drips where few and far between - is it possible it was still half full? or should i just persevere to get the rest in?

Reply to
Jon K

Jon K wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Just a thought. I find the large 60cc hypodermic syringes (with the large spout) sold by agricultural suppliers and vets very useful for this sort of job. Get a short length of plastic tube and fit it over the nozzle. Warm your grease, pour it into syringe with the plunger removed, insert plastic tube into filler hole, re-insert plunger -- then plunge slowly!

If the grease is not going in, I'd suspect an air lock -- something that is largely avoided by the above procedure.

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

I've had it where the oil was so gungy that it wouldn't flow and kept blocking so I had to prod an electrical screwdriver into the drain hole to clear it. It dripped a bit more and so on.

On my Disco you could actually see the ball through the filler hole and also see when the steering was turned far enough.

Could the stops be wound out and you're not getting full turning circle so not getting a large enough gap to get the grease in.

Ed

To reply, remove my appendix

Reply to
Ed

In message , Jon K writes

Stupid questions but

1) was it all EP90 in there or has it had grease in it already? They can get mixed to a nice thick paste ... 2) if it is EP, is the drain hole clear? If there has been rusting inside the swivel (top bearings are favourite) it can form a heavy slurry which settles and blocks the drain hole - bit of stick and wiggle ...
Reply to
AndyG

I made sure mine was empty both by warming up the EP by driving on the motorway (takes quite a few miles at high speed) and also sticking the end of the old garage hoover over the drain plug hole for a few mins, (well a complicated apparatus with a jar, hoover and a separate tube, but I wont go into that now).

Sucked out a bit more once it had stopped dripping. Probably not worth doing, but I enjoyed doing it....

Guy

Reply to
Guy Lux

Perhaps someone has used "ordinary" grease - which of course wont flow like the "one shot" will. Could be worth adding some parafin and doing a few miles to flush the housing. That'll remove anything thats got a bit thick. Personally I'd then be inclined to leave it draining overnight to remove as much of the paraffin as possible before refilling either with proper one-shop or EP.

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Buckley

Hi, thanks for the reply. Ive been working all weekend so havent had a chance to try heating the grease up yet.

Lock Stops are turned out a little so that my 235 85 R16s (on disco steel rims) dont catch the radius arm (crap offset). Would this affect the ability to get the grease in???

When the wheels are off and in full lock there is plenty of room to work but how does this affect the internals of the swivels / grease space?

thanks jon

Reply to
Jon K

Excellent - thanks for this. Simpleton terms for a simpleton!!

I'll have a look tonight and let you know how i get on. Does this mean that i would be well advised to screw right in / remove the lock stop to get as much room as possible.

Reply to
Jon K

On or around Tue, 05 Aug 2003 13:37:06 +0100, Jon K enlightened us thusly:

should go far enough without. It did on both the disco and the 110 here.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hi, Just to let you all know :- Ive found (IMO) the perfect tools for this job!!!

  1. Paint Stripping heat gun (to warm the grease in its bag)
  2. Mastic gun
  3. Empty & CLEAN mastic tube

Last night with wheel off and in full lock, i gently warmed grease, dropped into mastic tube and stuck the mastic nozzle right into the filler hole. 2 minutes later, job was done (All the grease baring a little i spilt is now swimming around my swivel - lovely).

thanks for everyones reply's and advice, im sure the secret is to get something to allow the grease to get to the inner side of the swivel.

Just the other side to tackle now. Maybe some wheel bearing posts a little later!

Thanks again. Jon

Reply to
Jon K

Have you looked on the flat metal pannel above the fan? I was topping my swivels up with oil for about a year before I saw two little stickers there each informing me that "this side has been filled with one shot swivel grease". Haynes never said "before topping up with EP, check that your swivels have not been one-shat."

I think the oil leak and the perpetual topping up eventually got rid of all the one shot, hence my recent re-one shotting.

Guy

Reply to
Guy Lux

On or around 6 Aug 2003 06:18:33 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Guy Lux) enlightened us thusly:

you get a couple of stickers when you buy the grease, or you do if you buy it from a dealer.

put 'em on the disco. not put stickers on mine, yet, mind.

Reply to
Austin Shackles