Re: OT: I'm Back - not that anyone cares + Westminster F***ing Parking Ticket

On or around Wed, 21 Mar 2007 23:06:58 +0000, Alex enlightened us thusly:

Thing is tho, he hasn't signed it in the box provided - is it still >valid? I need to get a definite answer before I run out of time for >the £50 "discount" for paying in 14 days. I'm not gonna contest if it >means I'll end up paying the "full" £100.

gut feeling is "if it's supposed to be signed, it's not valid unless", but IANAL.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Reasonable, but unlikely. This is the logic of a long-gone and fairer age. I'm equally sure as you, that they will increase the charge whatever.

Like when I contested a speeding ticket - in writing - and sent in my licence like a good boy. I heard nothing, then one day got a letter with the licence back with the points on, a bill for the fixed penalty, and a note saying the case had been heard in my absence. It took a lot of time and effort to get them the strike out the points and arrange a hearing where my case could actually be heard with me present, as I had requested. Since the penalty was technically "unpaid" they could give me no guarantees that the bailiffs wouldn't be round any day now to break my legs. That wasn't their department, apparently. Once a fine was unpaid, it went to the collection people, and the people I spoke to (who, to be fair, were decent and helpful, being mainly office clerks) did not have the authority to call them off. I know it was only a speeding ticket, but there was a whiff of Kafka about the whole experience.

Reply to
Rich B

And I was told by one of their supervisors (who should know) that if the ticket hadn't been placed on the vehicle that you can tell him not to, and he should comply with your request as you are moving it before the act (as you appear to have been doing) otherwise it's not valid or legal. It seems a no-win situation to me though, your word against his etc. Get a witness as it happens??

Martin

Reply to
Oily